5460 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2900 to Dlink PoE VLAN Setup Help

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

The first test did not work. The phone is still unable to get an IP address from the DHCP server on the .5/24 network whilst a member of the voice vlan.

The second test is a little more tricky because I need to set-up DHCP as a service on the VoIP server. I can do that but its not really the solution I was hoping for (I wanted to keep all DHCP assigments on the Windows 2003 box).

For reference, the phone server is based on CentOS and has Asterisk installed (so its not Cisco call manager!)
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi
please check
one ip phone you configure static ip
example 192.168.4.11/24

you look operation and say me result

cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi check static ip test not successfully
we may be change you dhcp config architecture

please you say static ip test result

good luck ..
cenk

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

When I gave the IP Phone a static address it worked. I still need to do some work on the VoIP server for the phone to successfully register, but at least it wasn't struggling to get an IP address.

AS soon as its put back to DHCP the phone will not pick up an ip address.

I'd like to check the routing. The 2900 default VLAN address is 192.168.5.1. The 2900 voicevlan address is 192.168.4.1.

On the Dlink the IP address for the switch is 192.168.5.3. Its default gateway is 192.168.5.1 (this was how a dlink eng recommended it be set up).

On the 2900 a "show ip route" command yields

ProCurve Switch 2900-48G# show ip route

IP Route Entries

Destination Gateway VLAN Type Sub-Type Metric Dist.
------------------ --------------- ---- --------- ---------- ---------- -----
127.0.0.0/8 reject static 0 0
127.0.0.1/32 lo0 connected 1 0
192.168.4.0/24 voicevlan 10 connected 1 0
192.168.5.0/24 DEFAULT_VLAN 1 connected 1 0

on the dlink a similar command yields:

DES-3028P:4#show iproute
Command: show iproute

Routing Table

IP Address/Netmask Gateway Interface Hops Protocol
------------------ --------------- ----------- ------- --------
0.0.0.0 192.168.5.1 System 1 Default
192.168.5.0/24 0.0.0.0 System 1 Local

Total Entries : 2

I suspect I may need to put in some manual routes on the dlink switch for 192.168.4.0/24 network on voicevlan.

Ideas?

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi
I think we not routing problem I think we are dhcp server on 802.1q problem

please check ;your dhcp server to connect on vlan 1untag and vlan 2 tag port

please you say how make dhcp server architecture what use type dhcp server.

cenk

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Right,

I've solved the DHCP issue by installing a DHCP service on the Linux VoIP server (vlan 10 voicevlan) (webmin came in very handy for that)

So now the IP phones correctly pick up an ip address from the phone server DHCP pool, and the computers plugged into the back of the IP phones correctly pick up a dhcp assigned address from the Windows 2003 DHCP on the data subnet (vlan 1). Routing between the two vlans seems to be working fine (tested by making PC's an untagged member of vlan 10)

Many thanks for your help

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Some good advice in this thread regarding tagging of vlans for a basic voice and data vlan setup. Many thanks to Cesz

DHCP IS a problem across Vlan's. No matter what ip helper-address settings I used I could not get DHCP requests to forward across broadcast domains (vlans). In the end I installed the DHCPd service on the VoIP phone server running Linux and will have to manage DHCP in two places now (Windows 2003 DHCP for the data vlan, and Linux DHCPd for the voice vlan)

Please note, with Cisco IP phones (ours are 7941g) you need to set the Admin Vlan ID to be the VID of the voice vlan in your setup.

hope this helps