Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2910al and older POS systems

Marco Koch
Occasional Contributor

2910al and older POS systems

Hello,

we have implemented some 2910al-48 PoE - switches at a customer. We replaced Cisco 2940 (10/100) switches with them.

Now we have the problem that some (older) POS systems (NICs: RTL8100C, RTL8139C and AMD PCNet AM79C970AKC) are loosing connectivity. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. When I connect the to an old unmanaged 5-port 10/100 desktop-switch and connect this switch to the 2910al everything works fine. I have tested all different speed and duplex settings without success. When I ping the IP address of one POS-system and reboot it, I can see that about 5-6 pings are working after the POS-system has booted up and after that the pings are timing out.

The NICs are 10Mbit/s or 10/100Mbit/s but as I said, autonegotiation does not work and also manually defineing the speed does not solve the problem.

The POS-systems are booting a (old) MSDOS with TCPIP-stack.

Does anyone have these problems or better a solution?

Marco
3 REPLIES
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: 2910al and older POS systems

connect straing true cable with pos device on switch interface 1 and write this command

switch(eth-1)# mdix-mode mdix

and make retest
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Marco Koch
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but I'm sorry it doesn'T solve our problem.

It's still the same ... I boot up the POS and I can ping it for 3-5 times than I can't ping it any more ..

Connecting it back to an old FastEthernet Miniswitch and everything works fine ...

Marco