108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2910al for ISCSI SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
snakkes
Occasional Contributor

2910al for ISCSI SAN

We have two Dell Powerconnect 6224 witch stacking module for our pruduction SAN network where the warranty expires soon. Extended warranty and support is so expensive, so we are looking for something to replace the switches. Have been looking at procurve, since everything else in our network are based on Procurve equipemt and monitored by procurve manager v3. We have  vmware host running approx 35 virtual machines located on an Equallogic PS5000 SAN.

I was thinking of a couple of 2910al 24 prot with the 10GBe interconnect kit(for redudancy) for the production SAN network, but i cannot find anything on HPs webpages about ISCSi perfomance on these switches. Especially versus the PC 6224.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sna

Snakkes
2 REPLIES 2
snakkes
Occasional Contributor

Anyone? Let me rephrase then. If we should buy 2 new rack based switches supporting the above configuration(3 vmware hosts connected to a EQL ps6000 SAN) and get the best performance, which ones to buy?

Snakkes
rdy2go
Occasional Collector
Solution

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to provide an update for any future searchers. We are using a EQL PS6000XV on a pair of 2910al switches with the 10 Gb cross connect. It seems to work fine, we aren't really beating up the switching but I've never noticed any speed issues. 

We are using the 24 port version since there is only 6 MB of buffer cache. I'm out of ports now and probably jumping to a pair of 3500s since they have 36MB of buffer cache. I wouldn't want to try using the 2910al 48 port with only 6 MB of buffer cache per switch.