Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2x SR7102dl LeasedLine with PRI-Backup

Marco Koch
Occasional Contributor

2x SR7102dl LeasedLine with PRI-Backup

Hello together,

I searched and tried a lot but did not found a solution. Perhaps one of you can help me.

We have two locations connect by a LeasedLine (8Mbit/s). This connection works fine. We set up a transfer net (10.250.251.16/255.255.255.252) and the routing works. The branch router advertises the local networks via OSPF to the HQ-Router.

Now we want to install a "dial on demand" backup over a PRI - line (E1 with Module J8454A). How can this be done? I want the PRI lines only come up when the LeasedLine is failing, if it comes back, the PRI backup should come down again.

It would be great if someone has a configuration example for this. The examples on the ProCurve - site are not solving my problem.

Thanks a lot,
Marco
4 REPLIES
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: 2x SR7102dl LeasedLine with PRI-Backup

Marco,

The E1 module is "NOT" a PRI, in other words: It can't be "dialed". The only true dial-interfaces are ISDN BRI and modem.

Olaf

Marco Koch
Occasional Contributor

Hi Olaf,

ok ... this is not soo good ;-(

In other words:
The SR7102dl uses a 8Mbit LeasedLine for connecting a branch office with the HQ. This works fine. We have also (unused) PRI-lines in both locations. Right now on both sides a Cisco-Router with an E1 controller board is connected to these PRI-lines.

What is the best way (Is there a way?) to use this PRI-line with the SR7102dl as a backup line?

Thanks a lot,
Marco
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Marco,

Again, E1 is not PRI. The 7102 doesn't support PRI signaling.

From Datasheet:
Operating Modes E1/FE1 Frame Relay, E1/FE1 PPP, E1/FE1 Multilink
Frame Relay, E1/FE1 Multilink PPP, E1/FE1 HDLC

E1/FE1 Interface Supported Standards: ITU-T G.703, ITU-T G.797,
ITU-T G.704 (CRC-4), ITU-T G.823
Line Rate: 2.048 Mbps ±50 PPM
Line Code: AMI or HDB3
Framing: FAS with optional CRC-4
Receiver Sensitivity: -30 dB
FE1 Line Rate: Channelized timeslot (in multiples of
56/64 kbps)
Connector: RJ-48C

If you are using PRI signaling, the E1 interface will not work.
Marco Koch
Occasional Contributor

Hello Olaf,

ok ... so the only possiblity is to use BRI or analog, which both has to less bandwith.

Would it be possible to use an ADSL connection with PPPoE and static ip address and set up a VPN tunnel? The tunnel should only be used, when the leased line is down.

Or can an interface like J8455A be used?

Marco