New Discussion юеВ

3500, Ip Routing and performances

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alessandro_78
Regular Advisor

3500, Ip Routing and performances

Hi all
We are interested in a couple of 3500yl to act as core in our small datacenter.

I have three question:
a) is ip routing enabled without premium license? I need only the static routing. How many static route can I have without license?

b) What about routing performances? Can I set more or less 100vlans and routing gigabit with it?

c) Is 3500 indicated to act as core switches in a network with more or less 50 servers? I'll use those switches to aggregate traffic coming from 2610 switches on top of racks.
5 REPLIES 5
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 3500, Ip Routing and performances

hi Alessandro

a) is ip routing enabled without premium license? I need only the static routing. How many static route can I have without license?

a-no need premium edge license for static routing
premium edge license for
* OSPFv2
* PIM Dense mode
* PIM Sparse mode
* VRRP
* QinQ (IEEE 802.1ad)
you can create 256 static route entry on 3500 switch

b) What about routing performances? Can I set more or less 100vlans and routing gigabit with it?

b-routing performance is same switching performance for example
Routing/Switching capacity 101 Gbps and Routing table size 10000 entries
for 3500-24 switch
you can create
VLANs with at least one IP Address 512
IP addresses per system 2048 IP
2048 IPv6
IP addresses per VLAN 32
static routes 256
supported routes 10,000 (including ARP)

c) Is 3500 indicated to act as core switches in a network with more or less 50 servers? I'll use those switches to aggregate traffic coming from 2610 switches on top of racks.

c-may be but 3500-48 switch include 48 gigabit copper port and 4 sfp ports equal whit 4copper ports
this switch very good for aggregate other network switch

cenk

cenk

Alessandro_78
Regular Advisor

Thank cenk.
So If I'll make 100 static route between 100vlan this switch can handle it without problems?

And for the 48ports.... 48ports are too much.
I aggregate traffic from outher switch, 2port (in trunk) for each swich (on top of rack) so 24ports are equal to 24 racks...
Actually I have 3 racks only and with the 3500 24ports I can handle 12 racks. :D
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

yes no problem 100 vlan and 100 static routing on 3500 switch
cenk

Andr├й Beck
Honored Contributor

Alessandro,

you really want to have a *pair* of cores (in a campus spanning VLANs design I assume) without VRRP?

BTW, the limit of 256 static routes feels somewhat arbitrary, but seldom is a real issue because you either

a) Route between a bunch of VLANs, where all the routes are connected anyway, so no need for statics beyond the usual default and some WAN/VPN routes;

or

b) Have an actual routed core that needs to be dynamic to make any sense, so you must have the premium license anyway, and again you need statics just for the default and some WAN/VPN routes (typically redistributed into the IGP from the distribution, so the actual cores will not have *any* statics at all).

I think the 3500yl can well make sense as cores in certain designs, even routed core ones. But I wouldn't accept them in this job role without the premium license. Losing OSPF might be Ok when doing just routing between spanning VLANs, but losing VRRP is a no-no IMO. You could as well use a single core box then.

HTH,
Andre.
Alessandro_78
Regular Advisor

Hi,
a single core box will give me NO redundancy.
I have VRRP managed by firewall that will be connected to each core.

My net will be as follow:

rack1 -> access 2610 -> core1+core2 -> firewall1+firewall2 (with VRRP)

So each core is connected to each firewall and I have VRRP on it.

Each access switch is connected with 4 trunk to each core (one trunk to each core) and I have redundancy.

Right?

Any other switch?

The only thing that I don't like is the absence of stackwise...SMC cost is similiar to HP but has stacking cable so i can use just only 2 port for each access switch (2610) with no need to buy transciever.