1753852 Members
9393 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3500yl can not handle sflow properly

utis
Occasional Advisor

3500yl can not handle sflow properly

Hi, I noticed unusually slow RDP over our new 3500yl switch while sflow turned on on all ports. Then I have decided to do some stress. I connected two machines to that switch and run ping -s 65000 -f IP from one to another generating about 330mbit/s traffic.

I run it for some time and got average 7% loss.

2242796 packets transmitted, 2077566 received, 7% packet loss, time 5813874ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.335/1.389/876.954/1.865 ms, pipe 64, ipg/ewma 2.592/1.390 ms

sflow was showing enormous sampling drops. Actually drops occur even when traffic < 512kbit/s . CPU usage is less than 15% and I am using K.11.41 version firmware.

Without sflow I get 0% loss and all looks quite normal.

I am not aware about best sflow sampling practises on the switch and could not find any specifications how much and what type HP 3500yl can handle. I've got four of these switches and though about buying more to upgrade our net with switch meshing, but now I am confused about perfomance and capability when using more features switch actually can not handle.

Thank you,
8 REPLIES 8
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

What is the sFlow software you are using ? and what firmware do you have on the 3500 ?

Thanks
Science for Everyone
utis
Occasional Advisor

sflow 5 and firmware K.11.41 (most recent afaik).
Hector Manzo
HPE Pro

Utis,

HP ProCurve Support has identified the problem and will be releasing a fix for this problem soon.

-Hector
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

utis
Occasional Advisor

Any chance you could be more specific about when it will be released, so I could plan implementations appropriately.
Hector Manzo
HPE Pro

Utis,

The ProCurve lab is working on identifying the best method of implementing a fix. We don't have a ETA yet but will have one within the next couple of days. I will post another update at that point.

-Hector
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

utis
Occasional Advisor

any updates please? Thank you
Hector Manzo
HPE Pro

Utis,

The problem has been identified and a fix has been coded to be made available with release K.11.63. We are working on creating the release notes for this release. Once the release notes are finished then the code will be made available on the web. I would expect release to be ready end of this week or first part of next week.

-Hector
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Hector Manzo
HPE Pro

Utis,

Firmware release K.11.63 is now available on the ProCurve web page: http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm

Could you please let me know if this release fixes the performance problems you've been having?

Thanks,

-Hector
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo