Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4000M Fiber to 5406ZI fiber

James C McDaniel
Occasional Contributor

4000M Fiber to 5406ZI fiber

I'm tring to get a GigaBit Fiber card on my 4000M (J4113A) to talk to my 5406Zl GigaBit GBIC (3458B). If I set the ports to 100M/B they will link but not at G/B speed. My 5406 has a software rev level of 11.41 my 4000 has a software rev level of 09.22. The fiber cable is good as I tested it. HP support has me put but both switch in auto negotiate, and I did and it has not helped. Anybody ever had this?

3 REPLIES
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: 4000M Fiber to 5406ZI fiber

It's impossible to set fiber gigabit ports to 100Mbit so I'm not sure what's going on there.

As long as the speed/duplex match then it should work, either Auto-Auto or 1000FDX-1000FDX.
James C McDaniel
Occasional Contributor

If I set the 4000 to 100 M/B FDX it will link. the 5406 is in auto. I'm stumped.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

The cable is a multimode cable right? (not singlemode). I would still test with another cable if possible.

Fiber issues in my experience always fall into the following:

1. Cabling - verify correct cable type is used and try different cables. Make sure TX is going to RX and vice versa. You can create a loop on the same fiber module to test it's functionality, TX straight back into RX - should get a link.

2. Speed/Duplex settings mismatch. Especially since the 4000M defaults to 1000FDX.

3. Faulty hardware.

More often that not it's 1 and 2.