1748002 Members
4304 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4018GL Firmware upgrade

Julian Griffiths
Frequent Advisor

4018GL Firmware upgrade

I have downloaded the latest firmware for the 4108GL switch, but can't install it on the switch. I have tried using both TopTools and a telnet session to the switch. TopTools seems to be ignorant of this switch and the Download OS option in a telnet session just tells me that the file is not in the right directory (wherever that might be!) I need this upgrade as I have purchased the 20 port 10/100/1000 module and it won't work without the upgrade.
8 REPLIES 8
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

read carefully the Release Notes

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59903067-e4.pdf

The easiest way to load firmware to switch is xmodem download from a pc via serial cable (see page 4 of rel notes). Another easy way is set up a tftp server and download firmware via LAN.

Regards,
Zygmunt
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

David,

TopTools does not support the 41xx series as far as I know and/or is obsolete, the firmware database is not updated anymore.

The new program to manage Procurve is PCM, see link:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/management/pcm/overview.htm

If you have downloaded the firmware from the HP web (G.07.53, there is a later version but you would have to call HP-support for thatone) see link:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm

Click on the selfextracting file, the actual firmware ends in .swi Then you need a tftp (TrivialFileTranferProtocal) program. Start that, put the .swi file in the root directory. Telnet to the switch choose option 7 download. Edit until it says TFTP enter the IP of the client where the tftp server is running and then enter the file name "G_07_53.swi" without quotes. Then click on execute. You will see the file being transferred. this takes a couple of seconds then you have to wait untill the transfer and flash is finnished. Then reboot the switch for the actual firmware to kick in. Check this in the CLI with the command "show ver" without quotes or in the menu option 1 and 1 General system information.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Julian Griffiths
Frequent Advisor

My problem is not so much how to do it but why doesn't it work?

I have tried the download OS option from a Telnet session but it can't find the .swi file.

I have also tried using the TFTP progam now supplied with WinXP and the same problem occurs.

The problem is: Where do I put the .swi file?

I know that TopTools is now obsolete but it does what I want for managing a network and the attached servers. I mght switch over to the replacement programs, but not until they are fully integrated!

In any case, HP say that they will "support" TopTools for 5 years. To me that means making thing like switch OS upgrades available via the TopTools Firmware upgrade option.

For information, the 4108 is recognised by TopTools.

SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

David,

The .swi file you need to put in the root directory of the tftp server. (most likely c: or the desktop)

Can you ping the tftp server from the switch and vice versa?

For the TopTools questions, I don't have any ideas, sorry.

Regards,

SCOOTER
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

David,
I've attached a small, nice TFTP server. In order to use it, make sure TopTools is stopped (since it contains a TFTP server that prevents other TFTP servers to bind to port 69). Make a folder for tftp32.exe, put it there and double-click it. Put the .swi in that same folder. Initiate the OS download from the 4108GL's menu. It should work.
Julian Griffiths
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies. In the end I decided to do a direct file transfer using hyperterminal from a laptop.

I have also taken the plunge and installed Procurve Manager. Incidentally I can't find a forum for it. Does that mean the program is so perfect it doesn't need one, or am I looking in the wrong place?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

David,

PCM is not that perfect, but there is no separate formum for it just juse this forum (ProCurve).

Regards,

SCOOTER
Julian Griffiths
Frequent Advisor

Upgraded using hyperterminal via the console

Changed to Procurve Manager.