New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4104GL fault-tolerant network

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I've tested the Procurve Manager and it's not too bad. I'm not too sure about this so don't quote me: I think that the 4100gl series is the only one with syslog facilities. All other models use snmp traps.

The Procurve Manager acts as a trap receiver as well, it will receive logs from the switches. (Amongst the many things that it will do)
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
mark johnson_15
Occasional Advisor

thanks chaps, as always it's most appreciated!
yeah the 4100 does have Syslog Server functionality, but my 2650's don't, and i can't see that advantage of using syslog over snmp.

i've tried the Procurve Manager (thanks for the link by the way) and to be honest i don't like it as much as toptools, dunno why but???

cheers
--Mark
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The 2650 running the latest code DOES support Syslog.

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
mark johnson_15
Occasional Advisor

yep you're right! thanks!

before i was just looking at the documentation (which didn't include syslog), but i've just checked on the switches and enabled syslogging.

does the syslog give more detail then snmp?
because when i enabled syslog on the switches i started getting error messages from 1 port, where the snmp trap was giving me nothing. strange??

thanks for the help!
cheers
--mark