1748180 Members
3970 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

4104Gl Monitor Port

Chad Kasper
Occasional Advisor

4104Gl Monitor Port

How many ports can be copied to the monitor port? We have an IDS that needs to view all traffic on all ports of our 4104GL. We currently have our 4104gl filled with three J4862B 24 10/100 port modules and one 20 port 10/100/1000 port module (will not show proper module type in telnet module information window). Currently, I can only select all ports on only modules A and C. I am capable of selecting the other ports on module B and D, but after I hit SAVE and Cancel out of that screen back to the menu, if I go back in, they are unselected again.

My current firmware rev is G.07.93

Any help appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: 4104Gl Monitor Port

What happens if you try setting it from the CLI?

e.g
Assuming modules A,B,C are J4862B and D is the J4908A:

4104(config)# mirror-port d20
4104(config)# int a1-a24,b1-b24,c1-c24,d1-d19
4104(config-eth)# monitor

I have just tried this successfully on a 4108 running the same firmware, but without a 20 port 10/100/1000 module.

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Chad

I'm not sure if the 4100 does have Vlan monitor then it will better to monitor a Vlan instead of multiple ports.

Anyway, use the WEB interface of the switch or the menu to make it easy for port monitor assignment, and i think it a matter of grouping only, like in the 10/100/1000 module, they can group ports 1-10 and the 1st uplink 21 , and 11-20 and the 2nd uplink 22.

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone
Chad Kasper
Occasional Advisor

Matt, I have tried your suggestion, but I can not get those commands to process. Please see my attached jpgs.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Can you attach a copy of your 'show run'?

Remove any sensitive information like SNMP community names or public IP addresses.
duanshuiliu

I have a 4104GL with 4 modules installed. And i select port A10 as the monitor port. When I try to enable the monitor (interface b1-b20 monitor) for some ports on other moduldes other than "A", I got error: "Cannot monitor ports belonging to a slot other then mirror port slot".

After check the manual I found there are some statement like this: "On the 4104GL chassis, 4 slot only, port mirroring/monitoring will be restricted from being configured
to cross modules. i.e. to monitor a port on module тАЬCтАЭ, your mirror port must also be on module тАЬCтАЭ.   
An attempt to configure a monitored/mirror port across modules will be restricted in the CLI and
Web Interface.    "

Does this means I cannot monitor all of ports just on one monitor port? It only support monitor inner one module?