New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4104gl routing and VLAN basics

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael_238
Occasional Contributor

4104gl routing and VLAN basics

Hello once again.
I have a small network of 300 or so nodes. Most of which are located at branch offices. We need to segment my current branch on two subnets. I thought about using a router in between, but this would be a huge bottleneck in my opinion. I purchased a 4104gl because of the new layer3 routing ability. I need to allow all traffic from subnet_A thru to subnet_B. I tried using vlan_A and vlan_B on the same router to do this, but when I need to route the traffic from one side to the other, I can only ping one way:
vlan_A= 192.168.11.0
vlan_B= 207.30.123.0

vlan_A | vlan_B
|
untagged | auto
auto | untagged

this allows me to ping from one side to another, but no back across the same interface.
I do have 2 other 4000m's that I can setup vlans on, but I was looking for some strategic advice from the forum before doing so!
Thanks in advance

Michael
speak "friend" and enter
2 REPLIES 2
Michael_238
Occasional Contributor

Let me try to simplify...

I just want to talk across two subnets. I can split the two networks onto 2 4000m's if needed. But i need to use the 4104's ip routing ability. I will take ANY suggestions....

TIA

Michael
speak "friend" and enter
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Assign an IP address to each VLAN on the 4104GL. Use the appropriate VLAN's IP address as the default gateway for the hosts on that VLAN. Make sure that IP routing is turned on on the 4104. Do not use tagging on any ports. Assign a default gateway pointing to the router or internet connection device. Make sure the router has a route pointing to the 4104 for the IP address ranges that are on the 4104. (make sure the router can ping the VLAN address for the 4104 which it should be using as a gateway for the second IP address range) That should be all that you need to do. I'm not sure how the router is involved but setting up a trunk on a router is a bit more complex and should be unnecessary if the 4104GL is doing the routing.

Ron