1748144 Members
3719 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4108GL Static Routing

Jason Hansen

4108GL Static Routing

Hi

I have been reading some of the threads on vlan's and IP routing. It is still a little unclear for me, I need some clarifications/advice.

I have 2 4108Gl switch's(one network on each switch and a 2000 server doing the routing between them).

I would like to remove the 2000 server as my router and route via 4108.

Switch 1 DEFAULT_VLAN (199.***.***.0/24)
Switch 2 DEFAULT_VLAN (192.***.***.0/24) Plus a Secondary VLAN with an IP 199.***.***.60/24

Connecting Switch 1 to the Secondary VLAN of switch 2

enable routing on switch 2 DEFAULT_VLAN TO Secondary VLAN

Question 1 switch 2

CLI (config)# ip route 199.***.***.0 255.255.255.0 next-hop router (Would this be the gateway IP address assigned to the Secondary VLAN or the router on 199.***.***.0? I would assume the secondary IP address)

Question 2 switch 2

To enable routing on switch is the above statifactory to enable routing? One tread mentioned a default route for the interent.

Question 3 switch 1

There are no configuration's that need to take place on switch 1 for routing etc.?

Question 4 switch1/switch2

199.***.***./24 (switch 1) workstations/servers should be able to access 192.***.***.0/24 workstations etc.

Thanks

Jason

2 REPLIES 2
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi,
a few tips.
1. If your swith has several IPs, say 199.a.b.c and 199.a.b.d, the link going to swithc 2 being 199.a.d.d, the gateway will be this last IP.
2. To enable routing, you have to defin which routing process you'll use, and set it on both switchs. For example, static routing, then you'll have to inform your switches the way said in 1 about all the ways to your different subnets. If you use dynamic routing, you'll have to say which you'll use (example : (config)# router RIP
3. The same routing method must be used on both switches, check on it which method is used on 1.
4. A good debugging method consists of pinging from a subnet 1 computer all Ip interfaces of swicth 1, then the IP of swicth 2 linking to swicth1, then an IP on subnet 2. According to problem, you'll be able to see if your configurations lacks on 1, routing, or 2.
Let us know in case...
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hello, Jason!

On 4100GL series switches IP addresses are applied within the VLAN configuration context.
With the latest version of S/W loaded the 4100 series switches support layer 3 static routes: enable VLAN-to-VLAN communications and up to 16 external routes (including one default route) in IP networks.
To forward IP traffic between VLANs on the switch, you need to add the global configuration level command:

ip routing

When the switch has IP forwarding enabled, an IP addresses assigned within the context of a VLAN will be used as router interfaces that provide default gateway service for hosts in that VLAN. When IP routing is enabled on the switch, it uses the address and mask that you assign to each VLAN to derive the address range for hosts reached through the ports in that VLAN. Each reachable address range is placed in a memory resident table. The switch uses this table of routes to deliver traffic directly to the hosts on the attached networks. When there are a few remote network address ranges or there is only one path that leads to a remote address range you can define the path to external networks.
The members of the VLANs may be tagged and/or untagged ports of the switch.
In your case it means that your switches must be linked via ports that are members of both of your VLANs.
The ports connected to the end stations (hosts) usually are configured as untagged.

Good luck,
Dmitry