108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4108gl: copy command and VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

4108gl: copy command and VLANs

I am wanting to copy my startup config from my 4108gl to a tftp server. The manual notes that if the tftp server is in a VLAN, I have to know the VLAN name. However, neither the online help nor the manual show the syntax for the copy command which tells me where I use the VLAN name. Right now, the copy command just gives me "Peer unreachable" when I try the copy.

So how do I use the CLI copy command on a switch where the tftp server is in a VLAN?
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

I can't find the reference to knowing the vlan name in either online manual, however, if you can ping the tftp server from the switch then it should work without it. If you can't ping the tftp server then I seriously doubt that the VLAN name will act as a magic password to get you through VLAN barriers.

Make sure you have assigned an IP address to the switch and that the TFTP server has a route to get to that IP address if it is not in the same LAN (watch your masks). If the TFTP server is in a VLAN other than the default (1) on the switch then you will need to assign an IP address in the same subnet to that VLAN. If you can't do that then you will need a router or Layer 3 switch which can switch between VLANs. However the 4108 is supposed to be an L3 switch so it should allow it. See page 15-2 in the Management and Configuration Guide.

If you have assigned authorized managers then you may need to add the TFTP switch to the list. (Don't know for sure.)

Ron
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Thanks. Indeed, the problem was that I had not assigned an IP address to the VLAN that the tftp server was living in. Once I did that, things were fine.

Thanks again!
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

The reference to knowing the VLAN name is on page A-3 of the G.07.xx release of the "Management and Configuration Guide" for the 4108gl switch.