108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4160GL ip routing with trunks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Schmidt_5
Occasional Contributor

4160GL ip routing with trunks

I see that since G.07.74 you can do one or the other but not both.

Will this be fixed in a future release?

Thanks...

peter
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe that this was prevented in G.07.74 and onwards as there is a limitation with the ASIC's on the 4100 series that leads to the undesirable issue described in the release notes. So unfortunately I believe the answer is no, this cannot be fixed in software.
Peter Schmidt_5
Occasional Contributor

So I have 3 4160GL's connected together via 4 port LACP trunks & have ip routing enabled on all three to route the vlans. Currently they are running G.07.53.

Are there any suggestions on how to get around the potential "flood" problem without dismantling the trunks?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If you needed an excuse to buy some new hardware this might be your chance... I would look at a 5406zl, create the trunks back to that tagging all of your VLAN's, and let it handle all of the routing.

Peter Schmidt_5
Occasional Contributor

I'm misunderstanding something here. If I create the trunks back to the 5406zl don't I still need to enable ip routing on the 4160GL's?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

You would treat the 4100's as edge switches and the 5400 as your new core switch/router.

With your edge switches you would create the VLANs and tag your trunk to carry all of these VLANs back to the core switch.

Traffic that needs to be routed to a different VLAN will always have to go up via the 5400.

e.g.
on your 4100's

trunk a1-a4 trk1 lacp
vlan 1
untagged b1-b24
tagged trk1
vlan 2
untagged c1-c24
tagged trk1
vlan 3
untagged d1-d24
tagged trk1

on your 5400

ip routing
trunk a1-a4 trk1 lacp
trunk a5-a8 trk2 lacp
trunk a9-a12 trk3 lacp
vlan 1
ip address 10.1.1.1/24
tagged trk1,trk2,trk3
vlan 2
ip address 10.1.2.1/24
tagged trk1,trk2,trk3
vlan 3
ip address 10.1.3.1/24
tagged trk1,trk2,trk3

It is important that you match the VLAN ID's between your switches (apologise if you already know this). Trunk numbers are not important.

You may also want to have a quick look through the ProCurve Networking Primer, and IP routing foundations: http://www.hp.com/rnd/training/tech_training.htm

Otherwise searching the forum history you should be able to find a few other peoples example configurations.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

(you will not need to enable ip routing on the 4160GL's)
Peter Schmidt_5
Occasional Contributor

You learn something every day. The picture is clear now. IP routing is disabled on the edge switches (just need the static default route for 0.0.0.0)

Much appreciate the help..