1753767 Members
5655 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5300xl to 2626 Fiber Link

Mano Hernandez
Occasional Advisor

5300xl to 2626 Fiber Link

Maybe you can help me out with this one. When ever I try and put the 5300xl and one of the 2626 with a fiber Gbic it seems to lock up the switches. What I mean is the lights go solid, instead of blink with data activity and you cannot get out over the switches. When I unplug the link. The switches operate @ normal.

I am using the J4858B ProCurve Gigabit SX-LC Mini GBIC @ each end and it seems to no work.
They seem to lock each other up.

11 REPLIES 11
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a quantum packet accelerator. Do you have another link already connecting the two?
Mano Hernandez
Occasional Advisor

Not that I'm aware of. The way the "lower school" is set up is one building in the middle with 3 satellite buildings connecting them with fiber. Each fiber connection has a 2626 w/ a fiber Gbic going back to the 5300xl. In this case the one for the Math dept. locks up both switches.
It seems anytime I try and put a fiber Gbic connection in the 5300xl it locks up the system.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you have your fibres crossed so the TX go back to the RX on the same GBIC.
Mano Hernandez
Occasional Advisor

Wouldn't that just cause the link to be dead. When ever you do not have the proper
X path on a fiber link, the link lights will not show up and the link will be dead.
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

It does sound like a loop, even if your description of the network looks like there shouldn't.

Are you running spanning tree?

If you say lockup, do you mean you cannot telnet to the switch? Or did you also try using the console to check?
Chances are the console still works.
If it does, use the console to find out more info about the problem. (show interface etc).
Mano Hernandez
Occasional Advisor

The switch console works. Just locks up the ports on the switch and you cannot get out over the network. That's what I really mean. There is no spanning tree running.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

>>Wouldn't that just cause the link to be dead

No. Just to be sure, I sparked up a 5308 on my test bench, plugged in a mini-GBIC, and jumpered the TX to the RX and it lit up.
Mano Hernandez
Occasional Advisor

SO you did Tx to Tx and Rx to Rx and it lit up?
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

No, that is not what I said. I did a short circuit TX to RX on the same GBIC.

Since I have no idea how your fibres are patched in, I cannot know if a short could be effected in your case.

Also, I cannot know if there is any potential for a loop.