New Discussion юеВ

5308 Routing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Fugate_1
Occasional Contributor

5308 Routing

HP Guru types

I have come into a new situation/job and would like your help in resolving routing issues on this network, and its bottlenecks.

The Current network setup is:

6 Vlans
(3)192.168.x.x - These are used for firewalls(?)

Each 172.x.x.x VLAN uses a default gateway of a Windows 2000 box with two nics running a routes.bat file. One nic is on the 172.x.x.x network, and another is on a network of 192.168.x.x which connects to the firewall and pushes internet traffic out the door.

Now this setup works, but I have never seen anything like it in my previous jobs, and I KNOW this is creating a bottleneck in the network. We have a 5308xl which currently we just use for switch connectivity, but I'd like to use for our routing.

Help! Where do I start?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 5308 Routing

That is a fairly unique setup you have there...

On the 5300 to make it the router these are the basic steps you'd need to take:

1. Enable 'IP routing'

2. Give each VLAN an IP address (which will be the default gateway for the clients on the respective VLANs). You may want to set this as the IP addresses that are currently in use on the 2000 server, but you'll obviously need to be careful not to cause any IP address conflicts.

3. Create a default route to the firewall, 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 '

4. On the firewall, make sure it has routes pointing back to the 5300.

5. For DHCP, if the 2000 server is giving out addresses you'll need to add an 'ip helper-address' for each VLAN on the 5300.

There may be some other hiccups you run into along the way but that should give you a good start.
Mark Fugate_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Matt

So do I then use ACLs in the 5308 to control what traffic can touch what within VLANS?

Do you have a good link on building ACLs in the 5308?

Thanks again
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

ACL's are probably the way to go in this instance if you need to tighten it down a little (sometimes you can also use source-port filtering depending on the requirement).

Apart from the manuals for the product, searching the forums here is probably a good start for ACL assistance - otherwise if you can list down what resources you need to permit/deny, myself or someone else here can probably help you out.