Did you mean: 

5308XL VLAN Routing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Stanyon-Tall
Occasional Visitor

5308XL VLAN Routing

Hey

I have two 5308XLs. I have configured a second VLAN (100) on each (same name & ID) and have assigned an (untagged) uplink port between the switches for this VLAN. From VLAN 1 I can can ping both IPs of VLAN 100 as well as any connected devices. However, from VLAN 100 I can only ping devices on this VLAN and the IPs of VLAN 1, but not connected devices. Have I missed something on the new VLAN which maybe already configured on the default VLAN? The routes seem to be inplace as they are added automatically.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: 5308XL VLAN Routing

Seems rather odd since a ping requires the routing (and all lower layers) to be OK in both directions or it doesn't work. Usually this is caused by a filter such as Zone Alarm or XP's builtin IP Filter or an access list on a router.

Ron
Matt Stanyon-Tall
Occasional Visitor

Yeah - IP have just started from scratch and setup two new VLANs. Everything works fine between these, but I am stull unable to ping anything on the DEFAULT_VLAN (except the IP assigned).

It seems to be something with the DEFAULT_VLAN......strange!!
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Matt -

Did you happen to define your Default VLAN as a (secure) Management VLAN?

Ralph
Matt Stanyon-Tall
Occasional Visitor

No, I have not touched the management-vlan features. I have just run 'no management vlan 1' to make sure of this but am still unable to route back to the default vlan.
Einar_3
Advisor
Solution

First of all, verify that ip routing is enabled on the switch. Second; verify that default gateway on the attached devices on VLAN 1 points to the switch address of VLAN1 and that the ip address/netmask is correct.

einar
Matt Stanyon-Tall
Occasional Visitor

In my haste I had forgotten to change the DG on the workstations on the DEFAULT_VLAN!

Thanks for pointing this out.

M

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If Einar solved your problem, you should have given him the bunny by assigning 8, 9 or 10 points to his answer.