1753773 Members
5244 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5308XL routing errors

Carl Morss
Occasional Advisor

5308XL routing errors

Hi, we started having a network problem only this week, errors being logged by our 5308 routing switch.

The current topology has been stable for months with no recent changes to firmware etc.

we are using 4 5308xl's as the core LAN with 2 5308xl's for routing - the redundancy comes from stp - we have yet to implement xrrp, however this has only just started happening.
error in log is happening every few mins

NETINET: (number) route entry creation(s) failed

there doesnt seem to be any other info - how can i see whats suddenly started causing this?
7 REPLIES 7
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: 5308XL routing errors

Hi

I would recommend you to configure the Syslog on the 5300 and turn on debug destined to Syslog and install one of the free Syslog softwares and try to investigate around that.

Gather more info from the debug and if you can share it here and we will work together on it.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Carl Morss
Occasional Advisor

Ok ive set up logging and have debug all events configured for session.... and after waiting some time ive just seen the first "route creation failed" message show up on the CLI

am i missing something here? im guessing so
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I wish if you configured the debug destination to Syslog.

And i have an idea, the 5300 has a dual flash, so why don't you update the firmware to the secondary flash, and keep the existing firmware that you are happy with in the primary, and boot the 5300 from the secondary for testing and debug purpose and see what happen ....

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Carl Morss
Occasional Advisor

this is a live system affecting much of the LAN - rebooting the primary routing switch is not an option at the moment, it remains working so i cannot afford to reboot.

i just need to understand why it is logging errors "route creation failed"... whats routes, to where, and why did it fail

can you explain how best to answer this, will "debug" help here, if so how should i config this?

thanks for your help
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Are you running any routing protocols, RIP or OSPF?
Carl Morss
Occasional Advisor

not running ospf/rip/xrrp
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

This error message "NETINET: (number) route entry creation(s) failed" is caused by the route table filling up.

A possible cause of this is when a virus infected host tries to infect many other hosts

connection-rate filtering may help you with this if this is occurring.

What firmware version are you currently running?

If you are already at a very recent version I would recommend you contact HP support, make sure you capture a 'show tech all' first.

Otherwise, if you are running code older than E.10.xx I would strongly recommend you update to the latest version first.