Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752805 Members
5366 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5308xl Configuration

Bill Donehue

5308xl Configuration

I have 2 5308s trunked using straight thru cat5e cables on the 100/1000-t module. The users are constantly complaining that the speed is horrible. By looking at the utilization ( 1 - 3% ) I can't say it's bad. However, reading in the installation manual I see where trunking, vlans, etc should be disabled.

Should I be using crossover cables in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bill
7 REPLIES 7
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I presume you are talking about the J4907A 16 port gig modules. They are Auto-MDIX and can be fixed to MDI or MDIX so there is no need for crossover cables.
Bill Donehue

Les, Actually the blades are J4821A, 4 port gig modules. We are using all 4 ports to connect to the other switch in a trunk setting. We do have Vlans enabled & these 4 ports are trunked. According to the installation manual, P. 12, Advanced Features it mentions that vlans, trunking, etc. should be disabled.

Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

The Installation and Getting Started Guide states that "the 100/1000Base-T ports on the 100/1000-T
xl Module comply with IEEE 802.3x standard which includes the Auto
MDI/MDI-X feature. These two features operate the same and allow you
to use straight-through twisted-pair cable for all of your twisted-pair
network connections".

You need to read the Advanced Traffic Management Guide which explains trunks and VLANs. They are not mutually exclusive. Do you have spanning tree enabled?
Leo Katona
Occasional Advisor

Since the utilization of the 4-port trunk is no more than 3% (~120 Mbit/s), try removing the trunk and replacing it with a single 1 Gbit/s link to confirm whether the problem lies with the trunking.

I don't believe using straight-through or crossover cables is related to any speed issues in the network.
Bill Donehue

Spanning Tree is not enabled.
Shiraz Malik
Advisor

Hi bill,

"The users are constantly complaining that the speed is horrible" --> where the users are connected ? to the same 5308 ? If that is the case, then viewing the event log of 5308 could probably tell you the problem. How many VLANs you have ? or is it a flat network ?

Waiting for the details,
shiraz
Shiraz Malik
Advisor

Just read that you already have the VLANs defined on the switch. Please tell me the tagged and untagged status of the ports?

thanks