1748180 Members
4207 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5308xl - VLANs and Windows Networking

Jody Greene
Occasional Contributor

5308xl - VLANs and Windows Networking

Just setup 5308xl with interVLAN routing...

I have a WINS server on one subnet

I have setup all of my clients (via dhcp) with the WINS server

PCs can only see computers that are part of workgroups if they are in the same VLAN/subnet.

Do I have to setup ip directed-broadcasts on all of my VLANS in order to be able to browse the entire workgroup?

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is working because if I type another computer name in at the RUN command, I can get get that computer.
6 REPLIES 6
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Re: 5308xl - VLANs and Windows Networking

Have you tested the reachability of the WINS server (from the clients), and that the clients have received the WINS setting correctly?
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor

Perhaps set the Netbios Node type to 0x8 so that it can try and work it out for itself?

Cheers
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You don't say what version of Windows you are running but in most of them you can go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Network/Protocols
Highlight TCP/IP and then click on Properties. Then click on the Tab which says WINS Address and put in the address of the WINS Server.

You can also put the address of the WINS server in the LMHOSTS file.

It's unlikely that enabling ip directed-broadcast would help much since in order to create a directed broadcast the box has to know which subnet it's trying to get to.

Ron
Jody Greene
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2000.

I can connect to other NetBIOS hosts on other VLANs, but was just curious as to whether or not Windows networkin (browsing) would could work across the VLANs.

I don't want to install a WINS server on every VLAN.
Shibu Pillai_1

You could have Wins Proxy Agent configured on the second VLAN , It's a registry tweak .
The link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;164765 might help you.

-Shibu.
Die Trying
Battiston gregor
Occasional Advisor

Hi
if you have routing enable and you want PC's on one vlan to access the DHCP and WINS server on a other vlan you should configure:
vlan xx
ip helper-address y.y.y.y
the ip @ of your server.

I hope this help.
gregor