Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752651 Members
5551 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5372 XL startup-configuration cannot be uploaded to switch

Axel Schindler

5372 XL startup-configuration cannot be uploaded to switch

We have a 5372XL with additional 16 Port 10/100/1000 Module J4907 in Slot A and 4 Port Mini-Gbic Module J4878 in Slot B. Slots C-E are populated with the J4820 24-Port 10/100 modules.
I configured a trunk for A16 and B1, both populated with 1000BaseSX Gbic's to be connected to an identical 5372XL.
If I want to reload the configuration to the switch (copy tftp running-config) I get an errormessage for the line with the trunk statement
B1: Unknown Port Type.
All other lines referring to Trk1 give an error, upload of the configuration to the switch fails.
The software version is E.10.61.

Is it my mistake, did I configure something wrong? Or may it be a bug in the software theat the upload fails?
As we have the concept to put a cold standby 5308 on stock it is essential to be able to recover the configuration in an easy way.

7 REPLIES 7
daniel wright_1
Advisor

are you loading the config onto the production switc or the spare? does the spare have the same modules in it in the same bays?
Axel Schindler

At the moment I am testing to copy the configuration back to the switch it is already running on.
My plan for the emergency case is, if the backplane of a switch would fail, I would put all the modules to the backup box (so it would have the same modules) and then upload the configuration.
daniel wright_1
Advisor

okay, i was thinking along the lines of if you were loading the config onto an empty chassis it wouldn't know what b1 and a16 to be able to trunk them.

what happens if you try to trunk to ports on module b?

Dan
Axel Schindler

Dan,

just to check if the problem lies at the already trunked ports I erased the config (now the factory default config was active) and copied my config to the box, still getting the error for the trunk statement.

On monday I'll test to put the trunk entirely to module b.

Thanks for your suggestions up to this point.

Axel
Axel Schindler

I explored several configurations:
If I put the 2 1000sx connections for the trunk to module A (16 Port J4907A Gig-T/GBIC) the Upload works fine.
If I put only one or both 1000sx links to the module B (4 Port J4878A mini-GBIC) the upload of the startup-config fails with the error "Unknown Port Type".

I suggest this is a software error; I'll try to contact HP service for the case.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Have you tried with more than one tftp server (tftpd32.xxx.exe for instance - the attachment might be a bit outdated)?
Axel Schindler

Dan,

TFTP itself works fine, if I configure the trunk to ports A15-A16 I can load the config to the 5308 without error, if one trunk port resides on module B the switch claims not to know what port type B has.