3528 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5400yl restricting iSCSI network on its own VLAN

groque
Frequent Advisor

5400yl restricting iSCSI network on its own VLAN

Hi all,

I am planning to segment 24 ports on my 5400yl core switch for my iSCSI network.

I am going to be placing those 24 ports on VLAN 97 (iSCSI).

I am using RIPv2 internally. What would be the best way to deny users from accessing the iSCSI VLAN?

I am planning to put an ACL on VLAN 97 that deny's all and also excluding VLAN 97 in RIPv2 advertisements would that work or is there anything else I should do to make this happen? Since turning on IP routing allows all VLAN(s) to communicate with each other.

Thanks for you responses
3 REPLIES 3
damiri
Regular Advisor

Re: 5400yl restricting iSCSI network on its own VLAN

ACL will do the job. All VLAN are directly connected and there are routes between them. I use ACL, but you may try to delete route from route table (if is possible). I haven't tried this.
groque
Frequent Advisor

Perfect do you just have an ACL to deny all?
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Is there a reason you would give that iSCSI vlan a IP address? If not, then just create your VLAN, do not assign it an IP address which will make it a L2 VLAN only, so no reason I can think of to have to mess with ACLs (although ACLs are fine if you have to give the VLAN a IP address which would make it L3 and routable). Then the other step I'd look at would be to enable jumbo frames on that VLAN (of course, your NICs and SAN or whatever your connecting on that VLAN would have to support jumbo frames).