The following modules installed
module 1 type J8702A
module 2 type J8702A
module 3 type J8702A
module 4 type J8702A
module 6 type J8705A
The module in slot C crashes periodically with the following error
00274 chassis: (84) Slot C: Blade Crash detected

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with this software and hardware combination?
21 REPLIES 21
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5406zl Error - 00274 chassis: (84) Slot C: Blade Crash detected

Sounds like you have a faulty switch module - your best bet is to log a case with HP support to get it replaced ASAP.

Good luck!

Joel
Tony_B
Advisor

Update on configuration changes made to switch.

I have upgraded the software to K.12.01
After the software update the blade in slot C continued to crash.

I moved all the connections from the blade in slot C to the blade in slot D. As a result the blade in slot D started crashing, with a similar error to the errors previously experienced with blade C.

I moved half the connections from the blade in slot D back to the blade in slot C. None of the blades have crashed since I split the loading across two blades.

Has anyone else experienced blade crashes when a switch blade is fully loaded?

Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Now that is rather strange behaviour - I've never seen anything like that personally, I've found the 5400zl series to be pretty robust and stable.

Just out of curiousity, how long has the switch been in use for? Also, it is possible to receive a faulty module now and then from the factory, though having said that it is quite rare in my experience.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Are you running any sFlow sampling like PCM Traffic Monitor? If so, try disabling any sampling. It has caused a few weird problems in the past.
Tony_B
Advisor

Joel

The switch has been in service for approximately 6 weeks. The number of user connections has only increased slightly during the time that this switch has been in service.

Having taken half the connections off of the blade in slot C and moved them on the blade in slot D, thus splitting the load across two blades, the issue seems to have gone away. This is however only a temporary workaround.

I still need to get find a permanent solution to the blade crash problem.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Tony_B
Advisor

Matt,

Yes we are running sFlow on this switch as we do run the traffic monitor in PCM+.

I understood from the release notes that came with version K.11.63 of the 5400zl switch software. The problem with sFlow and high utilization on these switches had been resolved. I currently have four other 5406zl switches├в running K.12.01 and this issue has not occurred on any of those.

Any ideas?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Just for troubleshooting I would be disabling the traffic monitor on PCM+ for that particular switch and putting all the connections back onto the single module to see if it re-occurs. If it doesn't reoccur for a few days, enable traffic monitor again and if the problem comes back, you've got your trigger.

Either way, it would be a good idea to open a case with HP at this point in time since you are already running the latest firmware and are seeing a problem.

The sFlow issue that was fixed in K.11.63 was more a performance issue where sampling was causing poor throughput performance.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

From the troubleshooting you've done it sounds like possibly a faulty backplane, especially since you're not experiencing this with any other switch.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but your best bet would probably be to log a case with HP support and get some replacement hardware shipped out to you.

Even if you were to confirm the trigger as Matt suggested, I doubt it would possible to isolate any further without having a spare chassis on hand to test every suspect component.

Good luck!
Tony_B
Advisor

Joel

From the testing I have carried out I would agree with you a faulty backplane looks to be a possibility.

Fortunately I have a 5406zl chassis in stock. I have upgraded the software to K.12.01 then swapped all the blades and power supplied over to the new chassis. The new chassis is running in the same hardware configuration as the old one. With the connections still split across the two blades. It is also running the same software configuration.

I am monitoring the switch to check for any issues. If there are no problems, after 48 hours I will move all the connections back to the blade in slot C.

I have started a case with HP support and get some replacement hardware.

Just as a foot note PCM has picked up that K.12.02 is now the latest software release for the 5406zl chassis. I cannot find this version of the software on the HP web site. I wished to read the release notes for this version of the software.