New Discussion юеВ

5406zl: Rip V2 Poison Routes being broadcasted from core

SOLVED
Go to solution
bmcnally82
Occasional Advisor

5406zl: Rip V2 Poison Routes being broadcasted from core

J8697A Switch 5406zl Software revision K.12.57

Running into a strange issue that I'm having trouble tracing. Probably has a lot to do with me being an idiot.

From what I can tell though, it looks like my core is broadcasting routes to itself via Rip Ver 2 with a metric of 16 (unknown route). (See attached) How is this possible? Now it is possible (highly likely), I'm misinterpreting the debug.

My core's IP is 192.168.4.246/24 and it's directly connected to a Cisco 2800 (192.168.4.1/24)that is also configured with rip v2 to send/receive.

What's happening is my core broadcasts routes with a metric of 16, and then these (poison) routes propagate out and cause my routers to use my VPN failover, believing that my preferred route is down. Routers determine the preferred route is back up, broadcasts the correct routes, with correct metrics and everything is fine for a few minutes, until my core then rebroadcasts the routes with a metric of 16. This cycle continues with substantial packet loss (5-20%).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2 REPLIES 2
Andr├й Beck
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 5406zl: Rip V2 Poison Routes being broadcasted from core

Hi,

sounds like a misbehaving implementation of Poison Reverse, any chance to switch that off on the ProCurves?

Poison routes should never propagate further, though. Their whole intention is to *stop* wrong routes that would otherwise count to infinity from propagating.

SCNR: Any chance to use a real IGP that isn't R.I.P?

Andre.
bmcnally82
Occasional Advisor

Re: 5406zl: Rip V2 Poison Routes being broadcasted from core

Andre disabling poison-reverse seemed to do the trick! Thanks.

HPswitch(config)# vlan 1
HPswitch(vlan-1)# no ip rip poison-reverse