108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5406zl SAN switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay671
Advisor

5406zl SAN switch

Currently I have two 2910 switches running as my SAN switches that are trunked together. My managment port on the primary SAN 2910 switch is tagged for both the management VLAN and the SAN VLAN so my Systems Engineers can communicate and manage the SANS from a workstation.
Everything works fine.
I recently purchased two 5406zl 12 slot switches to take over the 2910's for growth purposes. I assumed that the configurations would be next to identical since they run the same firmware with the exception of port names.
This doesn't seem to be the case as I just can't get them to work the same. In fact the only way I can get close is by having spanning tree turned on both 5400 switches (current 2910's do not have spanning tree enabled) along with tagging both switches management ports to the SAN VLAN on the 5400 side of things as well as the 8212 they link up to (my main core).
I don't feel this is the correct configuration for what I am trying to do and am fearing loading all the SAN's onto these in a production environment will be bad from what I am already seeing.
I have attached the two configs for both the primary (SAN switch one) and secondary (SAN switch 2) SAN switches.
The SAN's are directly connected to the 5406zl switches with (redundancy on SAN side) two ports going to primary, and third port going to secondary. Both management ports are then connected back to my 8212 central core with both management ports tagged for management VLAN and SAN VLAN.
Both 5400's are then connected together via a 10gig fiber trunked port.
On the current 2910's only the primary SAN switch has the management port tagged for both SAN and Management on both sides (2910 and 8212) and all works well.
Am wondering if I need to no tag the management port for SAN on the secondary 5400 on both sides, then turn off spanning tree on both 5400's. This is about the only thing I haven't tried. There are other VLAN's on both 5400's that are not in use and will not be in use for some time, so I am not worried about those......yet.
If you need more data or need to know why I don't think this is the proper setup, just let me know, but figured this is enough detail to digest for now.
4 REPLIES 4
Jay671
Advisor

Re: 5406zl SAN switch

And here is the second 5400 config.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor
Solution

You link the 5400 with A1 to the 8212?
you link the 5400's with a 10G port to each other.
most likely the 10G link is enabled for STP (less costs), so another port (one of the A1's) will be blocked.

so either tag vlan 5 and vlan120 on the 10G ports
or create two MST instances
- MST1 for vlan5 and vlan120
- MST2 for other vlans

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hi there Jay,
any progress on this?
Jay671
Advisor

Hey Pieter

Not really

I ended up turning off the spanning tree on both of the 5400's. This is allowing traffic to flow, however it looks nothing like it did on the 2910's.
The levels on each port (from the GUI side) almost seem to mimic one another.
Not to mention my port A1 which is my management port back to my core and is tagged for SAN also seems to be mimicking all traffic which again was not the behavior with the 2910's with the identical configurations.
We will be adding VM servers to these soon which will need to communicate back to my core as well, and I fear that tagging the management port with the two other server VLAN's will overload the management port.