108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5406zl failed OS update

Paul Piecuch
Occasional Contributor

5406zl failed OS update

Brand new 5406zl out of the box.

Began install of J8706A module.

Noted that an OS update was needed first.

Hooked up serial cable and began xmodem download from HyperTerminal.

20 seconds in, fault light came on, locator light came on, download stopped.

Cycle power.

Now can't connect via serial cable.

Fault and locator lights on solid.

Reset procedure elicits same behavior from switch.

Anybody have any ideas?
Networks are like snowflakes. Each is unique.
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: 5406zl failed OS update

If connected at 9600 8-N-1 with no flow control, you should be able to see the boot up procedure and boot from secondary, or go into monitor mode and reflash primary from there.

If still no luck, you may want to try taking the CF card from the management module and seeing what files are on there (I haven't tried this personally).

Otherwise you may need to contact support.
Lei.Ma
Frequent Advisor

i pretty sure that you should upgrade the firmware. because the original firmware doesn't support the J8706A module.
if you have another module with RJ45 port , you can upgrade the firmware by tftp. if not, you should upgrade it by xmodem.
i excerpt some command from the release notes. pls check it out:
Using Xmodem and a terminal emulator, you can download a switch software file to either primary
or secondary flash using the CLI.
Syntax: copy xmodem flash [< primary | secondary >]
1. To reduce the download time, you may want to increase the baud rate in your terminal emulator
and in the switch to a value such as 115200 bits per second. (The baud rate must be the same
in both devices.) For example, to change the baud rate in the switch to 115200, execute this
command:
ProCurve(config)# console baud-rate 115200
(If you use this option, be sure to set your terminal emulator to the same baud rate.)
Changing the console baud-rate requires saving to the Startup Config with the "write memory"
command. Alternatively, you can logout of the switch and change your terminal emulator speed
and allow the switch to AutoDetect your new higher baud rate (i.e. 115200 bps)
2. Execute the following command in the CLI:
3. Execute the terminal emulator commands to begin the Xmodem transfer. For example, using
HyperTerminal:
a. Click on Transfer, then Send File.
b. Type the file path and name in the Filename field.
c. In the Protocol field, select Xmodem.
d. Click on the Send button.
The download can take several minutes, depending on the baud rate used in the transfer.
4. If you increased the baud rate on the switch (step 1), use the same command to return it to its
previous setting. (ProCurve recommends a baud rate of 9600 bits per second for most applications.)
Remember to return your terminal emulator to the same baud rate as the switch.)
5. Use the show flash command to verify that the new software version is in the expected flash area
(primary or secondary)
6. Reboot the switch from the flash area that holds the new software (primary or secondary).
After the switch reboots, it displays the CLI or Main Menu, depending on the Logon Default setting
last configured in the menu├в s Switch Setup screen.

i hopt it's helpful.

ray ma
Paul Piecuch
Occasional Contributor

Booting to the secondary image while connected via terminal at 8-N-1 9600 worked!

Thank you very much

Paul Piecuch
IT Operations Manger
North Seattle Community College (USA)
(206)526-7803
Networks are like snowflakes. Each is unique.