108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 802.1X port based authentication with RADIUS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Glenn Borromeo
Occasional Advisor

802.1X port based authentication with RADIUS

I configured my switch 2524 to enable it's port-based authentication using a RADIUS server as it's authenticator. What client OS do I need for my testing to work? an OS to support port-based authentication, it seems that windows 98 does not support it...

TIA
5 REPLIES 5
Arnaud_9
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello Glenn,
Windows XP and Windows 2000 SP4 (and maybe since SP3), have a built in 802.1x client.
You should find some freeware clients under Linux, and if you really need one for a Windows 9x client or NT4, there is a client (but not freeware) here :
http://www.mtghouse.com/products/aegisclient/index.shtml

Arnaud
Glenn Borromeo
Occasional Advisor

Hey thanks.. if it is ok to you, can you give me the steps to enable it on Windows XP or Windows 2000 with SP4?

Thanks again
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Read this paper, ignoring the wireless part if it doesn't concern your config :
http://www.enterasys.com/support/manuals/Pol_Mgr1_5_0-web/docs/p_ht_authconfig_x.html

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I made a writeup some time ago on how to configure 802.1X with RADIUS and VLAN Mapping. This is NOT an official HP paper but should give you the right guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

>Hey thanks.. if it is ok to you, can you >give me the steps to enable it on Windows >XP or Windows 2000 with SP4?

For XP, open up the Properties page of a network connection. Go to the Authentication tab. By default, 802.1x is alreay enabled for the interface. ;)
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.