108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 802.1x doesn't work after formware upgrade 10.43 to 10.67

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear it helped. I've seen this particular bug on many other different ProCurve models and it's definitely a bug (you should be able to see it mentioned in the release notes for the 2600).
Mario Laniel
Advisor

Hi Matt,

Is this what you mean:

802.1X Port Lock-Up (PR_0000005372) ├в If the first frame is sent from an all-zeros MAC
address to a broadcast destination address, an 802.1X port will freeze, and AAA will quit
functioning.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It was more similar to this one:

RADIUS (0000001164) ├в The switch drops RADIUS messages with EAP-packets larger
than 1496 bytes.

That was from the 5400 release notes.

Mario Laniel
Advisor

Thanks Matt,

That looks more like it and it is not in the 2800 release notes, I will let HP know as I opened up a case with them to resolve the issue in the software. It works fine with the workaround you gave me but it should work without that.

You only really see the Port Lockup with broken NICs (or where the address has been set administratively). Though windows Vista machines occasionally send a couple of packets with a src mac of all 0's as it's bringing the interface up. This can cause temporary port lockups (they will clear when you up/down the interface).

Bug fixes are generally written for one branch then applied to others as customer-demand/severity dictates.

If you contact HP technical support they may be able to give you a pre-release of I with the fix applied.
---

Regarding the earlier post on dynamic Vlans and 802.1X, it's great in theory but if you're working in a multicast environment the lack of IGMP snooping on dynamic VLANs in a real killer.

Additionally you should always set unknown-vlan disable on all edge ports. Else it's possible that a GVRP enabled, authenticated client, could pull down any tagged VLAN they wanted as well as the untagged VLAN they were assigned.
---

As for no bugs existing with 802.1X with H.10.67... that's not strictly true... currently got 6 cases open regarding port-access / GVRP stuff for H branch. But non that would cause the behaviour you're describing.
chrisbyrd

We're seeing a similar problem. We've upgraded to H.10.74 firmware, but still seeing the issue.

HP Support suggested this was being caused by bug PR_0000005372 (the 802.1x port lockup with all-zero macs), but this was apparently fixed by H.10.74

We've just deployed 25 Procurve 2650's in our new datacentre and are running mac-based port-access against a RADIUS source for dynamic VLAN allocation. We run hundreds of vlans, and it'd be a nightmare configuring ports individually

This is working great (mostly). However, randomly, we're seeing servers in the DC drop off the network. On investigation, there is no mac visible on the switch port, but there's a physical link up. The port hasn't failed any authentication

Nothing relevant in the switch logs either

The only way to resolve is to disable the port for a few seconds and then re-enable. The MAC is then re-learnt, the port authorised and vlan assigned correctly. Then the server's back online.

For example:

B1-SWITCH# sh version
Image stamp: /sw/code/build/fish(mkfs)
Nov 21 2008 16:34:36
H.10.74
Boot Image: Primary

B1-SWITCH# sh port-access mac-based 23

Port Access MAC-Based Status

Authenticated Unauthenticated Current
Port Clients Clients VLAN ID
---- ------------- --------------- --------
23 0 0 1

B1-SWITCH# sh mac-address 23

Status and Counters - Port Address Table - 23

MAC Address
-------------

B1-SWITCH# conf t
B1-SWITCH(config)# int 23
B1-SWITCH(eth-23)# disab
B1-SWITCH(eth-23)# enab

B1-SWITCH# sh mac-address 23

Status and Counters - Port Address Table - 23

MAC Address
-------------
0019b9-f7cd0d

B1-SWITCH# sh port-access mac-based 23

Port Access MAC-Based Status

Authenticated Unauthenticated Current
Port Clients Clients VLAN ID
---- ------------- --------------- --------
23 1 0 100

This is now causing us some serious problems

I'm running out of hair to pull out - can anyone help?

How about:

aaa port-access mac-based 23 logoff-period 9999999