6141 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9300 Gig interface errors

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

9300 Gig interface errors

Hi Guys,

Had a bit of a strange one today. Three 9300 series switches (2 9308 and 1 9304) started to report more that 1000 errors per second in the traffic monitor in Procurve Manager+. These were all on interface Gigabit 1/1.

This has continued to happen throughout the day, i have had a look at what is going on using ethereal and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Also, there is not being anything recorded in the event log at all.

Not quite sure what to look at next.... Any ideas?
Where there is a will there is a way...
16 REPLIES 16
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan

Can you help us to make it easy, What kind of error you get? All the three switches report the same error? on the same interface?

You said you've tried Ethereal, have you tried port monitor ?

If you can capture a sample screen shot of the PCM Traffic Monitor screen and attach it here, that will be helpfull.

Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The actual switch itself does not report any errors in the logs. The PCM+ application reports the errors as part of the traffic monitor process, it doesn;t actually say what the errors are. I will upload a screen shot when it next happens...
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Here is a screenshot of what the traffic monitor displays.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Ethereal and any packet captures are generally only going to show you well formed packets anyway, so you won't be able to see the errors.

Have you tried: "show interfaces eth 1/1"?

Can you attach the output of that command here?

It's definitely a strange one, are they connected via fibre or copper? I'd usually look at swapping out some cables except that it's happened on 3 products, all on the same port number...
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi, I have set it up the traffic monitor on another 9300 now, and it has the same! The sho int ethe 1/1 output looks good to me, i have attached it for you to see.

The ports are all connected up with Fibre.

It is happening on 4 switches in total, i do have one 9300 that hasn't reported any errors.

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan

Would you please go the Menu of Top 5 View, click on View, then change to Broadcasts/Sec.

Tell us whats hapenning ???
Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi, here is the Broadcasts per second views from all 4 9300 with the errors.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Thats it !

You have a Broadcast Issue, if you compare the output of Show Int that Matt asked for with TOP5 view.

You have to look now for The Broadcast source, from the Top 5 view you can get more details, you can display Top Destinations, Top Connections and Top Protocols.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi Guys,

I have been looking into this this afternoon, there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to what could be causing the errors. All of the switches are sending data to different places when the errors are recorded.I have been looking at the top 5 view for errors and comparing it with the connections to see if i can determine what is going on when the errors are registered...
Here is a diagram of the tables...