New Discussion юеВ

Re: ADSL: Routers, modems, switches compare

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Stracchino
Frequent Advisor

ADSL: Routers, modems, switches compare

Hello to all,
without a long discussion, can anyone offer a quick guide to choosing between Linksys and Actiontec routers please.
I'm specifically interested in models:
Linksys WRT54G,
Actiontec gt704-wg
Actiontec 2700hg
Thank you for any advice offered.
Small, insignificant details rarely are!
6 REPLIES 6
Keith Stracchino
Frequent Advisor

Hello all,
I was not specific enough in my earlier posting, I'm not looking for spec. comparisons, I've researched that already.
I'm looking for the first hand experience of using these pieces of hardware; would you buy the same, or would you avoid the same as the result of problems? Did you hate dealing with either of the two suppliers?
Regards
Keith
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

This is really an HP forum... I'd personally recommend the ProCurve 7102dl but it's 10x more expensive than these consumer routers.

I hear good things about the Linksys though.
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi Keith,

I have a Linksys WRT54G which i use at home, have had no problems with it so far, seems to be a reliable little router!

What is it you are intending to use it for?
Where there is a will there is a way...
Keith Stracchino
Frequent Advisor

Hello to all,
Yes, I know this is an HP forum, I hope that I have not given offence by enquiring about non HP products. All of our current hardware is HP, 5 desktop pcs, 2 graphics workstations, 4 laptops, 4 inkjet printers and a laserjet. I'm in the process of hooking up this motley crew to build a LAN and high-speed net access. I know HP doesn't supply ADSL modems and routers, but I was looking for help in the same place that I usually look; simply because its a place inhabited by technically credible people, some of whom are my ex colleagues.
Regards
Keith
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor
Solution

Keith,

There is a product that will meet your needs.
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/routers/index.htm

I agree, it's probably not the same "price-range", but you get what you pay for. Performance and features are much better for this product. If you want reliability and performance, spend the extra money. It also has the lifetime warranty.
Keith Stracchino
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Olaf for your response,
Thank you for the recommendation, I shall be following your advice. Please forgive my ignorance of HP networking products, this is my first foray into the networking arena and I'm only too well aware of my own limitations.
Regards
Keith