5516 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ASN.1 conversion error (258)

Dylan Roehrig
Occasional Contributor

ASN.1 conversion error (258)

Hi,

I haven't used much SNMP in quite a while, and I'm really new to using the Procurve Manager Software. I've got version 1.06AA of the software installed, and I'm getting a lot of errors saying:
ASN.1 conversion error (258) on PDU from device 172.16.10.10 for SNMP get/set response
from 3 of my switches. I can't find anything configured differently on the 3 of them compared to the rest of the switches, so I don't know what's causing these errors, and I certainly don't know what they mean. Does anyone know what to do with these?
3 REPLIES 3
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

May be you PCM is to old for a newly developed Procurve Switches features?
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Dylan,

These are SNMP no-such-name errors that are being generated during traffic data collection. They're likely caused by the fact that the collector is trying to acquire data from an interface or card that is no longer present in the device. Traffic collection takes a "snapshot" of the topology and attempts to collect data from the ports in the snapshot - unfortunately if the topology changes unbeknownst to traffic collection this kind of situation can result. This is one of the topmost issues we will be fixing in our next PCM+ release - to change traffic management so it is aware of changes to the network topology, including the appearance and disappearance of devices and ports and changes to the operating characteristics of ports such as duplex setting and link speed.

Try working around this issue by deleting the device (172.16.10.10) from your topology and invoking a manual rediscovery of that same device. This will force traffic to delete the old snapshot of the device that it's working from and will then provide a new snapshot of the device using current topological information.

Regards,

SVB
Dylan Roehrig
Occasional Contributor

Big delay in responding to this, but manual rediscovery worked. Since then i've upgraded PCM and the problem has been resolved