Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753960 Members
7301 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: About Network Traffic tool with HP 2510-24(J9019B)

chirug
Occasional Contributor

About Network Traffic tool with HP 2510-24(J9019B)

Hi,
I am using HP ProCurve 2510 -24 port switch in my lab network. I need to generate traffic on this network and measure the network characteristics like latency and packet loss. When i am trying to configure some network tool like wireshark directly to switch through laptop, its not measuring any network traffic by this tool.But all connected systems are communicating correctly through this switch.
How can i configure network traffic measurment tool to this switch. Could you suggest any free software network tools to measure characteristics.
Can any one help in this issue.
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
John Gelten
Regular Advisor

iPerf is a nice freeware tool for generating traffic and measuring jitter, bandwidth and such. There is a JAVA-based GUI called jPerf.
Use one computer with iPerf in server-mode and one computer with iPerf in client-mode.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

wireshark is a protocol very good analyzer tool unable generate traffic or examine bandwith

for generate traffic
http://rapidgood.com/s/tfgen-traffic-generator

Tfgen traffic generator

for examine bandwith

http://www.paessler.com/prtg/

best tool prtg

good luck

cenk

chirug
Occasional Contributor

Still i am unable to do this. The problem is weahter wireshark or iperf traffic generated tool, can not connect directly to the switch. When i am running the wireshak in my laptop, this was connected to the same switch where all my monitors are connected. But this laptop with wireshark tool not getting any packet information. So there could be some kind of configuration before we start capturing the packets??
any help!!
John Gelten
Regular Advisor

aha... !
You have (as an example) a client on interface 1 and a server on interface 2. And you have your laptop with wireshark on interface 3.
And now you want to see traffic between the client and the server appearing in wireshark on your laptop. Is my assumption correct ?

If you apply the configuration below to your switch, the switch will 'mirror' all traffic (inbound & outbound) on interface 2 to the interface where your wireshark-laptop is attached.

Hope this is more of less what you are looking for.

ProCurve# sh run
mirror-port 3
interface 1
name "CLIENT"
exit
interface 2
name "SERVER"
exit
interface 3
name "WIRESHARK"
exit
interface 2
monitor
exit

chirug
Occasional Contributor

Hi john,
thanks for your reply. When i am running the command , i am getting the result like this...
ProCurve Switch 2510B-24# sh run

Running configuration:

; J9019B Configuration Editor; Created on release #Q.11.17

hostname "ProCurve Switch 2510B-24"
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-26
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit

ProCurve Switch 2510B-24#

Could you provide the complete set up information for single vlan1 with 5 active monitors are connected to the same switch.

how is will be the set up configuration in the switch....out of 24 port only 5 port are using we need to consider for this set up...
thanks in advance
chirug
Occasional Contributor

Hi all again,
Here is my required configuration.
I am going to configure 10 monitors(Computer) to one HP Procurve 2510 switch through RJ45 ethernet cable. I need to have two VLAN configuration on single switch with these 10 monitors. Then i need to measure the network traffic through from this switch (This traffic should come from all monitors on the switch).
Some give the configuration of switch steps as i am doing this first time.
Thank you.