1753731 Members
4657 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Accessing snmp on stack member

Michael Pye
Occasional Advisor

Accessing snmp on stack member

I've setup a public snmp community on my procurve 2524. It is a commander and has one member in its stack. I can access the mibs in the commander switch via snmp fine. However I cannot access any snmp mibs on the member switch. It is supposed to allow me to query the member switch by accessing community:
public@sw1
but this doesn't work when using snmpwalk.
Do I have to get the member to rejoin the stack before it gets its snmp working ?
7 REPLIES 7
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

According to the manual, the target switch has to be a member of the stack. I had a quick look in the manual, and page 9-46/47 goes into snmp management of stack members via the stack commander. The exact syntax is:

snmpget community@sw1

Have you tried this? If it still fails, describing step by step what you do to make it fail will help.

Goodluck
Michael Pye
Occasional Advisor

My snmpget cmds:

snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public 192.168.50.252 system.sysContact.0
Response: SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING: Company IT Support

snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public@sw1 192.168.1.1 system.sysContact.0
Response: Timeout: No Response from 192.168.1.1

I can only conclude that the member does not have snmp working and the commander is forwarding the snmp request but the member doesn't respond. I guess that the member doesn't get snmp enabled unless it joins a stack that has it enabled. My commander had snmp enabled aftere the member joined. A reboot of the member switch may get it working, but I don't want to do this if I don't have to.

Michael Pye
Occasional Advisor

The ip address in the above snmpget cmds is the same both times, I just edited one to change it in the post but didn't change the other. doh!
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Michael,

I see the same as you do. The Master responds fine, but the member gives a time-out. The syntax per the manual also appears to be wrong. There happen to be a couple of 2524s in my lab and we have a few other model ProCurve's as well. This is interesting enough to pursue :-)

Will continue tomorrow.
Cheers
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Michael,

The solution is not to use the public community name. See the manual for the complete explanation (search on snmpget in the doc).

In short:

- Create a new snmp community name on the Master switch.
- any member of this Master's stack will inherit this community name for the duration of its membership.
- Check in Stacking status if all is well (Master not rejected for example).

Your snmpget commands to the member switch will now get responses. It did for me.

Goodluck.
Michael Pye
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the update - unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. Tried creating another snmp community and deleting the public one, and also having a public and a second community but either way it seems I still cannot get the member switch to respond.

I'm convinced that I will have to reboot the member switch or force it to leave and rejoin the stack before it will get the snmp communities but I don't have a test switch to try this on and I don't want to reboot production switches.

Thanks for the info though.
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Michael,

Look in the Stack Status using the menu environment. If there is a mismatch on the member switch(es), it will probably also say that the commander is down. It will work, but your stack needs to be "clean". It sounds like your switches do indeed need a reboot.

Goodluck