Re: Accessing the internet on 2 home laptops at the same time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ernest,

Thanks very much for this.

I reall appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this, I am learning so much,

We were describing the cable differently - mine amateurish. I will now draw up a little schema for you, and get back to you.

All the Best

Bill Z
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ernest,

Several times I have had a problem posting. As the posting is long maybe that is it. Please check teh attachment.

All the Best

Bill Z
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Bill,

I'm a little confused by your diagram which seems to show two rows of contacts, however, using the numbers, it appears that cable is wired as a crossover cable.

You need to determine and fix what is causing the limited connectivity warning, most likely it's the cable.

With the client system set for DHCP, it should get an ip from the first system, it should also be acceptable to use the following static settings (on the client only)

ip address - 192,168.0.2
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
default gateway - 192.168.0.1
dns server - 192.168.0.1

With the firewalls disabled the x.x.x.1 system should be able to ping the x.x.x.2 system and vice versa.
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ernest,

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

I am descrbing what appears to me as two rows of wires within the cable.

I will try the other cable that I perceive as crossover as maybe the cable I havejust used is faulty. I will also manually set the fields as you suggested, and report back.

It looks like we are nearing an impasse or solution.

Thanks again for your help and patience.
Fernando D. Flores
Frequent Advisor

hello everyone:
Well Bill sounds like you need to use a cross over cable and stop using DHCP you get only one IP address from you provider which is why you are getting a ip conflict two computers trying to use the same address. You can not use 192.168.x.x I think the ip address must start with 127 or a 10 if you ever get connected over a 56k modem it will be slow as heck but I remember 300 bps modems days One modem four nic cards for 4 pcs not using a bridge connection. Wow when you are done with this project you can be a MIS Director. I will keep my eyes open for more information on this post.
keep it simple
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ernest,

Thanks very much for all your help, and we have success. So the problem was the cable.
I therefore have one working cross-over cable, and two straight cables (working or not). Why did I keep a cable that didn't work?

I manually set the LAC tcp/ip as you suggested and will do it that way in future - seems safer.

Please find attached the cmd files for your info.

When I think of all that you have taught me, I feel very grateful. I shall save the thread and can perhaps manage my own home network now.

All the Best

Bill Z
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Fernando,

I think in part you were right. When I first tried it this morning without manually setting the TCP/IP the client was showing the same IP address as the host .0.1.

I manually set the tcp/ip settings and that is what made it work.

but it did work with the addresses

and

I mentioned earlier that I hoard cables, I think I should make sure that I hoard cables that I know work.

It is not appropriate to discuss slowness after this success! :)

Thanks for your contribution.

All the Best

Bill Z
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Bill,

I'm happy to know you got it working - my dad used to tell me - if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Fernando

DHCP can work, that's the way Microsoft designed ICS to function, and I have done it that way for many years, 192.168.x.x is an acceptable private address range, and is, again the one that Microsoft chose by design for ICS. In fact, when using ICS with the more recent versions of windows (W2K, WXP) it cannot be changed, although it can in W98SE.

The 10.x.x.x is an acceptable private range as is 172.16.x.x, however anything starting with 127 is not.
Bill Zanetti
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ernest,

And I was very trying - thanks again.

All the Best

Bill Z
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Don't use IP addresses starting with 127, because you will have connectivity problems. The IP 127.0.0.1 is reserved for the internal loopback address and will not forwarded.