6402 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add Management VLAN to Procurve 2900

Dooley do
Occasional Advisor

Add Management VLAN to Procurve 2900

Hi,

I am using 2 x ProCurve 2900's for my SAN. They are isolated from the LAN so currently the only way I can get into management is to connect from a machine with a SAN NIC or via serial console.

How do I add a VLAN so that one port can be connected to the LAN for management from my desktop?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: Add Management VLAN to Procurve 2900

Hi,

Assuming that you're just connecting directly to a port on that switch it's quite simple (otherwise you need to ensure your new VLAN exists on all the other switches between your 2900's and your desktop)

1. Create a new VLAN on your 2900(s) and give it a name:

HP2900_1# vlan 10 name "Mgmt"

2. Give your switch an IP address on that VLAN:

HP2900_1# vlan 10 ip add *IP_ADD/SUBNET_MASK*

3. Untag that VLAN on the port that your connecting your desktop to:

HP2900_1# vlan 10 untag *PORT_NUMBER*

Then repeat the first two steps for your second 2900 and on both switches tag the new VLAN on the interface that connects the two switches (port 50 for example):

HP2900_1# vlan 10 tag 50
Dooley do
Occasional Advisor

I have a whole load of ProCurve switches I have just taken over. My desktop is not connected to the SAN switch it is connected to one of the other LAN switches. Can I add this VLAN then patch it to my LAN switch and access that way?
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

You'll need to follow the same logic, create the VLAN on each switch between your SAN switches and access switch for your desktop and tag the VLAN on the ports connecting those switches.
Just note that there may be a whole load of caveats depending upon the setup of your existing network, mainly if you have MSTP setup at all.