1751875 Members
5221 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advise needed for Switch

Erbe

Advise needed for Switch

Hello,

I would like to have some advise purchasing the right Switch. I read something about Vlans and Routing but still have some problems choosing the right device. The main goal is that the engineering PC can reach all the devices in the different LANS from the regular Network (remote desktop, SSH, telnet). The different LANS are not supposed to see each other. I have include an Attachment to visualize it.

Regards,
Erbe
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Advise needed for Switch

For your security requirements it would be best to get a switch that supports access control lists. As such I'd recommend looking into the ProCurve 5400 series. If you need something a little more cost effective you could look at the 5300's instead which provide a more basic set of ACL options but should still meet your needs.
Erbe

Thanks for the advice.
Security isn't the main goal, because the other networks or not top secret. The are running a dedicated machine. It only would be nice to seperate them in case of ip conflict. The connection with the cisco switches will be no problem?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

There should be no compatibility issues, in fact there is a ProCurve-Cisco interoperability document in existence (you may need to contact a ProCurve solution architect to get a copy).

The modular switches (5300,5400) give you plenty of module options depending on what port types you require to connect to the Cisco switches (fiber or copper).

The 5300 also offers the Wireless Edge Services xl Module if you're interested in a great wireless solution at the same time.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Say we have 24 Client behind each one of the Cisco 2950 Switch, so i think you have not less than 240 PCs connected in LAN1-LAN10.

If each PC is connected by 100Base-T, so your uplink from each Cisco switch to the new switch shouldn't be less than 1 Gig and better 2 Gig.

Your new switch should have a good switching performance and capacity and its ports should be 1Gig.

It should also support Trunking if you want to aggregate 2 links to get the 2Gig with each one of the Cisco switches, and Trunking groups not less than 10, so you need at lease 24 ports all Gig to complete this scenario.

The switch should support Vlans and ACLs to control the traffic between Vlans, and also Routing.

You can have 2 Choices, Stackable or Modular.

For Stackable i recommend you to have the ProCurve 3500-48G Switch.

For Modular, take the bundle of the proposed one the ProCurve 5400zl-48G for cost effective solution.

In the Future you can consider the 5400 is your new Core Switch, especially if you added the Premium Edge license to it and have all the Core Features that you need like the VRRP, OSPF...

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Erbe

Hello,

Thanks for advice :-)
I just have 1 small remark, my setup looks big but on each LAN there are about 2 or 3 important devices. I only want to acces them in case of trouble or do some config on them. So i expect not much traffic on the switch. So i don't think i need a big Switch.
The 3500-48G looks good, or is there something smaller?

Kind Regards,
Erbe
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

You can use the 2900-48G, but i believe you should read its specs to have a complete idea.

Its a new switch, and its also 10Gig ready.

But its ports are not PoE, and it doesn't have ACLs.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/ProCurve_Switch_2900_Series/features.htm

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Hello Erbe.

In my enterprise we have alwayes use Cisco routers, in the past we use the Cisco Catalyst 2900 Series, now we are migrating to the 3750 Series, we have ca 100 VLans, and now with the new series we can configure a PrivateVLan, for add security into the LAN.

Regards.