1748002 Members
4475 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem - no dialtone

Collard_2

Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem - no dialtone

Hi,
We have an HP PC with an internal Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem installed under Windows XP. It was not possible to connect with the modem, we always received a "no dialtone msg", until I de-select the option "Wait for dialtone". Now the modem seems to call...but don't do it: I've try to call a well-know phone number...I hear the modem composing the number from the speaker, but it always finish with a 'busy' message. So it seem sthat it does not really call the number I gave him. Is anybody already encounter the same problem ? (Modem is recognize under XP, and the 'query' function works fine also).
Thanks and Regards...
10 REPLIES 10
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi
Sure the modem is fine? Is the properties of the line set (dial or pulse)?
After hearing the modem composing the number can you hear the remote modem answer?
I had a problem similar to yours because the modem's jack (and do you call it?) was damaged so the modem's signal wasn't sent to the exterior, nor the exterior signal was heard by the modem.
Bill Dickson
Frequent Advisor

sometimes the agere modem needs a new driver to see if that is what you need have your internet connection ready to dial and pick up a phone so that you hear a dial tone then click on the connection as soon as you hear the modem and remote computer trying to do the handshake hang the phone up then go to www.hp.com and ook p your model of pc and see if there is a new driver for the modem. If there is tehn download the driver and disconnect. Go to the modemin device manager and update the driver on the modem and see if that helps. If not then you may have a bad modem. Contact HP
Grooming: the process by which the dirt on the horse is transferred to the groom.
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

There are a number of different possibilities, the first being a bad connection to the telephone line - this, of course, assumes that the telephone line is working - as suggested by Jorge.

You can use Hyperterminal to send commands to the modem - ATH1 should cause it to "pickup" the line and you should hear the dialtone through the PC speakers in the same way you hear the DTMF tones as it dials.

In addition to a damaged jack, there is a small isolation transformer on the modem that frequently burns out, and can cause the modem not to connect to the line.

If you are hearing the dialtone - it is possible for the modem's internal clock to be running at the wrong speed - which would cause the modem not to recognise the incoming dialtone as a dialtone, and also to send the DTMF tones incorrectly so that the telephone system does not recognise them.

This last problem can also be caused by an incorrect country setting with some modems, since different countries uses different signalling systems.
Collard_2

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried to call a phone number with another PC connected to that line, and that was working. That prooves that the line is Ok.
I've connected the HP PC, and I think I can say that I'm confident with the modem settings. When, via an hyperterminal, I type the ATD1 command I can hear the modem picking up the line. However, when I try to make it call (ATDTxxxxxx) I hear the modem calling but there is a kind of noise in the background. The modem call several times, and then I receive a busy signal. So, even if I hear the modem calling, I have the impression it does not do it,because the phone I was calling (my GSM) did not ring.
I also checked the driver release of the modem, it is the same as the last one provided on HP site.
Do I have to consider that the modem card is defect ?
(PS: next step is to connect an external modem on the PC and try)
Regards,
Anthony.
Phil Hoffman

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue with my HP Compaq Presario and its Agere modem. So far, HP tech support isn't much help. And they seem unwilling to swap the board under warantee because it passes internal diagnostics
M Nishida

I had the same problem with my Presario. After going through 3 HP agents and 2 additional modem cards, I went out and purchased one at Office Max. After installing it, the computer works just fine. Funny that HP couldn't figure this one out. I just didn't have the correct driver. Of course, I couldn't download it since I wasn't able to connect to the internet. I am now the proud owner of 3 extra Agere modem cards. I couldn't find the right address to blast HP for such poor customer service.
richkas

I have the same problem with a new Pavillion with the Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem. "No dial tone". A workaround is to use your telephone to get a dial tone (pick up the receiver) and then initiate the modem connection. Once it starts to dial, hang up the phone. I get an error message from the ISP, but as long as you don't hit "OK" on the error message, you are connected and it will run fine.

I am looking for the "real fix" for this problem.
Mike_973

Hey i HAD the same problem... the problem could be either in the modem, or in the computer itself. You are connecting fine on the computer you are on right now (the one that connected too the internet for you to type this question), so i suggest that you remove the modem from the non-working computer and insert it into one that your sure is working(be sure to be on a flat, non carpeted surface, and that you have the computer unpluged. Also, touch the metal on the outside of the chasis, to remove any kind of static charge.) If the modem fails to work properly, then return it and call tech support and report a bad modem (dont mention anything you did to it, just say what you said in your question.) If the modem works on the other computer, than return it to the original chasis, but try putting it in a different com port if possible, and run an install new hardware thing if nessicary. You can then try to re-install the modem, making sure before re-installing it to record all information that is needed to connect (username, password, name of modem, what com port its in and what number you dial to connect.) Once it is re-installed it should work fine, especially if its in a different com port. If it still fails to work, call the GEEK SQUAD. They are expensive, but will solve the problem for sure. Just dont buy replacement parts from them untill you look them up on e-bay (my favorite site)and any stores that might carry modems. compare thier price to the other prices and go with the better one (of corse!)
steve chandler

My Compaq Presario is less than a year old and I'm on my third Agere modem.All the same symptoms as mentioned in the other posts.My last correspondence with customer support in India consisted of alot of talk about the extended warranty.They were wanting $99 for this or $149 for that because my waranty was about to run out and they would have to charge me $40 just to talk to them next time it goes out yadayada....Why arent they recalling these piece of crap chinese modems? I'll tell you why,they know they have about a six month life expectancy and they want that extended warranty money from you--they want to keep milking you...thats it.They're scumbags....wish I had bought another computer.A pettition should be started on recalling this junk and the consumer affairs divison should be notified...