1745790 Members
4310 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Agere Win Modem

Verna Greene
Occasional Contributor

Agere Win Modem

I have the win modem v90 in my computer version 8.31.00 datede 12-12-2003. For some reson I am only connecting around 21 kbps, is there anyone that can possibly help me to get this modem to speed up any. I have tried to see if there was an update for the modem and am not able to find one. Please I desperately need help. Thank you. I hope I am at the right place to do this.
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Agere Win Modem

Low connection speed is usually a result of a poor telephone line. Sometimes you can improve it by breaking the loop that runs around from outlet to outlet.

Ron
Martin Sibrava
Occasional Advisor

Hi there.
1. Try to check the oposite modem (settings, device capabilities). These might also cause low bandwidth connection only.
2. Try to update your modem drivers.
Or as written above - poor phone line.
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Verna,

Multiple posts on the same topic are considered bad forum ettiquete.

In this post you have indicated a slow connect speed - 21 kbps - Ron Kinner has given you the most likely cause - a bad telephone line.

Another possibility is that the number you are dialing has changed - there is "modem hijacking" software that can change your default connection to a long distance call, which will have a similar effect to a bad line.
Verna Greene
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry I am new to this forum and I didn't know any better. I won't do it again. Thanks for the information.
RogerL

Hey Vernna The others are right about what you need to do to fix your problem. But I do believe old Ernest needs to be a little kinder to people when answering a question. I know when someone has a problem they dont deserve to be attacked, even if they have asked the question more than once.