Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748166 Members
3516 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ah crud... 4104gl config help (hot swaped module)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Ah crud... 4104gl config help (hot swaped module)

Okay...so, we removed a 10/100 ethernet module from slot D, and placed a 10/100/1000 in slot C (the 10/100 was an interrim fix while our dead 10/100/1000 was replaced). Now I'm trying to remove the "untagged d1-d24" from VLAN 1 but its not recognizing the interface. how can i get the config cleaned up?

thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Modules are hot-swappable with identical modules. Hot-insert, although it may work to a degree, is neither supported nor recommended. You need to boot the switch with the different module in place.

BTDTGTTS
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Right,

The original module was 10/100/1000 in slot B
we 'replaced' it with 10/100 in slot D to avoid any conflicts

Now that the replaced 10/100/1000 came in, we took out slot D and inserted the B slot as before...

But in the config, I still see "Untagged d1-d24"

Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I understood you in the first place. I only mentioned hot-swap because you have it in your title even though what you did was not hot-swap.

I assumed that you hot-plugged/unplugged the different module to the different slot without rebooting since you did not mention booting.

The switch needs to have the same config it booted with. You can hot-unplug a module and replace it with an identical module. This is by design. Anything else is unsupported. I've been there... even took it all the way up to the Division Lab.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

I dug up the reply I got from the lab.

I discussed this with a senior engineer here in the Network support Center and he stated that the chassis would need to be rebooted for the module to be fully initialized. â Hot swappableâ means you can swap a module of like kind into the same slot and the chassis will expect and understand how to handle it. It appears you were correct in that when you perform a â Hot insertâ , the module may not fully be understood. The reason being that when the chassis is initialized it locks in information specific to the modules (or lack thereof) in each slot. And that information will not fully change unless it is rebooted.

HTH
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Well it doesnt seem "hot swap" at all - because this bit us today.

Sure, the module went in, and came online, but sure enough, none of the OTHER modules could talk to it. The replacement module we placed in slot B was a 10/100/1000...

It seems HP has greatly misconstrued the potential for' hot swap'

luckily a simple reboot fixed it, but what would we have done if we had a high availablity network?!
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

I think that provided "hot swappability" is enough for this type of equipment. Imagine what does it mean to discover new Ethernet module. This will lead to a buffer and memory (and other resources) reallocation.
Do not use one 4100gl in high availability scenarios (no redundant Control Module, active backplane) Use two and high availability protocols to ensure smooth failover.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

>>It seems HP has greatly misconstrued the potential for' hot swap'

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=misconstrue

Well... at least one dictionary defines it such that the inference is yours and not HP's.

You may have misconstrued what HP purports "hot swap" to be.
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Perhaps, Les :-)