1752803 Members
5664 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Alerts HP ProCurve Manager

willinfo
Frequent Advisor

Alerts HP ProCurve Manager

I open a new thread fot the alerts of PCM. In effect, I would like that ****@wanadoo.fr receive e-mail when a switch is out or even when it returns to a good status.
Now PCM is aset but any alert (ip address conflict or switch reboot) appear although I reboot it for example. I have already create a SMTP Profile with an alert, an action and a policy. When I enforce ****@wanadoo.fr receive a mail but when I don't enforce any alerts is send. I don't know how to do.
I hope your help.
13 REPLIES 13
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

nobody? I need help.
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

trying to understand it correctly. Are you saying that You have a policy created with
(a) an alert specified for switch reboot (for example)
(b) Action set to send email
Enforce of the above policy works but when the event specified in the alert happens, you dont see the email ?

If that is the case, then a lot would depend on the PCM version you have and also the the exact details of the alert you have created. Also how have you verified the event mentioned in the alert actually has happened?

Can you also check the Policy History tab to see if anything has been logged?
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

the reason I mentioned about the dependency on PCM version for this problem is because there seems to be a fix for similar problem and it was supposed to be fixed by an AutoUpdate on PCM 2.3

See this related thread:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1232764
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I don't know how to configure an alert when a switch is out, or when a problem happen on a port of the switch.
I have
1) an action 111 : send email (with a SMTP Profile ok)
2) an alert 99 : filter => greater than minor
source => alert source as
event source.
3) policies => any time
all sources
all targets
alerts 99
actions 111
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

It's only what I did. I don't see where I have to configure e-mail send when a switch is out ......
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Lets say we need to trigger the policy when a device goes unreachable.

First we see in the Event Browser ( Event Tab displayed in PCM GUI) and note the event details for such an event.
Here is a sample for 'device unreachable' event, as recorded in the Event Browser:
=====
Event type: PCM Event
Received from: Discovery2-4
Date received: Thu Mar 26 07:22:01 GMT+05:30 2009
Date acknowledged: Event has not been acknowledged.
Severity:Informational
Event Description:172.16.100.101,├В device├В is├В unreachable
==========

So for 'triggering a policy' whenever the above event happens, we need to create an Alert which has the properties
- has severity 'EQUAL TO' 'Informational'
- contains 'device unreachable'

so your step(2) becomes now
alerts 99==>
- has severity 'EQUAL TO' 'Informational'
- contains 'device unreachable'

Click "Apply" and make sure the policy is 'Enabled'.

Check if this policy executes henever the related event appears in the Event Browser.

hope it helped someway!
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

In my event browser, I have nothing because the switch is reachable. When it is unreachable I don't have the access to the event browser of the switch, of the telnet console and I don't have events in PCM ....
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

[Note: I meant the event browser in PCM and the example was an illustration. The event varies depends on what condition you would like to trigger the email.]

Well if you are not seeing any events in PCM ( and you are sure those events are supposed to have occured ) then its a different problem altogether.

You may need to check
- if PCM server has been registered as a trap receiver in the switch
- and confirm if port 162 in PCM server machine is being used by PCM process (javaw.exe) only and not any other process.

Only when PCM is receiving events correctly can one be certain that the (event-based)Policy would get triggered.
willinfo
Frequent Advisor

I don't know how to know if my PCM server is configure as a trap receivers in the switch.
I have this configuration for all my switch :

Link-Change Traps Enabled on Ports : All
Send Authentification Traps : Yes

Address Community Events sent in Trap
*.*.*.* public Not-info
*.*.*.* public None
*.*.*.* public None