7615 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Allowing WoL and Multicasting on different VLANS

Rsonet
Occasional Contributor

Allowing WoL and Multicasting on different VLANS

Hello,

I am a Network Admin in a school district and have just installed a new imaging server (http://www.fogproject.org/ ) to push out images to client machines. Our network comprises of all hp networking equipment. The server uses both Wake on Lan and multicasting to push images to clients. The problem is that everything works fine when all clients are on the same subnet (and vlan) as the server, but when i try to push an image to a client on another subnet and vlan it does not communicate.

Is there a setting on hp procurve that allows multicasting and WoL to be pushed over different VLANs? Or is there some other way I can set this up?
2 REPLIES 2
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi

Forwarding for all types of IP directed broadcasts is disabled by default. You can enable forwarding for all types if needed. You cannot enable forwarding for specific broadcast types.
To enable forwarding of IP directed broadcasts, enter the following CLI command:
ProCurve(config)# ip directed-broadcast

wol needed broadcast traffic this command solve your wake on lan requirements

but for multicast routing you needed 5400,8200,3500 provision asic switch and premium edge lisance for PIM
cenk

Rsonet
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for you answer, this helps but since there isn't a way to just allow specific traffic through, I am unsure if I should go along with allowing all ip directed broadcasts. Will this be a major security risk?