1745783 Members
3769 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Any LoadBalancing feature for 6120XG?

Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Any LoadBalancing feature for 6120XG?

I just want to balance the incoming traffic to an uplink half by half and send them to two ports! It is something just like the etherchannel(Portchannel) feature in Cisco switches! Is there any capability @ 6120XG? Or is there another blade-level 10G switch alternative?
8 REPLIES 8
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: Any LoadBalancing feature for 6120XG?

Yes, HP Networking calls link aggregation "trunking". You can either do static or dynaminc LACP (to the same upstream switch). If you are going to two different switches, you have to use LACP and something like IRF (new A-series support this) to accomplish this. IRF combines two physical switches into one logical switch so standard LACP from the blade switch will work.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Thanks! But I tried trunking and there was no load-balancing mechanism! I sent the Traffic from port 18 to Trk1 (comprising two ports) but just one of them got the traffic!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I assume you've checked the other end was also configured as trunk/etherchannel?

How did you test?
The advantage comes forth when multiple network connections are active.
A single datastream (like a file copy between two hosts) will only use a single port.
NB! normal etherchannel load balancing is on a source/destination basis.
that is source1-dest1 uses port-1 of the channel, source1-dest2 can use port-2.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

You can consider a passive IDS that which receives the traffic promiscuously and there is a couple of ports to receive a single traffic! I just want to split this high density traffic between two ports! But It didn't work with trunking!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

So it's not an uplink to an aggregation switch, but it's a monitor port?

The configured exit port must not be a
member of a trunk

see page-B-47 of the 6120 Management and configuration guide :
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01868095/c01868095.pdf

If possible you can map different vlans as source-port to different exit-ports connected to the IDS to achieve some sort of load distribution.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

The mirroring is performed @outside switch! Then I do not do any mirroring at all!
I just want to get traffic from port 18 and send it half-half into ports 1 and 4! I've tested the scenario by trunking ports 1 and 4 as Trk1 (Trunk Mode: Trunk), putting Trk1 and port#18 @a vlan, and sending the fair traffic (in terms of src/dst IP Address) to port 18! but the incoming traffic to Trk1 one becomes only transferred from port 1 @Trk1 and port 4@ Trk1 remains idle!

afaik use 802.3ad only the second port if first is in full load
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

When I aggregate two ports into a single trunk group, it is not possible to assign different protocols for each port! It even does not make any sense! Maybe I misunderstood what you meant!