Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753492 Members
5225 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Auto shutdown of a port in the event of another port shutdown ??

Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Auto shutdown of a port in the event of another port shutdown ??

Is there a feature in any of the network switches by which it can automatically shutdown a network port when another port gets disconnected ?. For example, I have machine 1 connected to switch port 1 and machine 2 connected to switch port 2. If either of the machines goes down or either of the cable gets disconnected, is it possible to automatically shutdown the other port ?
Be Always Joy ......
3 REPLIES 3
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Bejoy,

I am not aware of this feature in any HP switch, but if you are running the mangement tool "Procurve Manager Plus" it should be possible to achieve this. You can setup an event based policy, which is triggering in case of a specific event on a specific switch. For each policy you can setup an action, which can be a script which is running the commands:

int 1
disable

See: http://h10144.www1.hp.com/products/management/ProCurve_Manager_Plus/overview.htm

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Thanks Michael,
I am looking for a feature inside the switch itself, so that no management tool comes into picture. Basic reason is, I will be running IBM AIX on those machines and do not want to have another Windows machine just for the management of this switch.
Be Always Joy ......
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Since there are no other comments received, I am assuming there is no such feature which I was looking for.
Thank You ...!
Be Always Joy ......