1752329 Members
5569 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Automatic Broadcast Control

Matthew Ballou

Automatic Broadcast Control

Hello,
We have a an Extreme switch running Proxy Arp on 10.10.104.254 and it connects to a remote network 10.10.113.0/24. Apparently there must be something enabled on the new HP switches that are caching the Proxy Arp request destined for the 10.10.113.0 network. We cannot ping the remote network (except the first ping) from our Procurve 2824 or Procurve 4108gl.
4 REPLIES 4
Matthew Ballou

Re: Automatic Broadcast Control

Forgot to mention: Could this be the Automatic Broadcast Control and if so, where would I disable it?
Jon Fayers
Occasional Advisor

Matthew, This sounds remarkable similar to the new thread that I have started .
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=958504
You get a ping the first time then a timeout for subsequent pings
Would you mind checking on the arp tabel on the server/pc you are pinging from (arp -a) on Win OS. Try looking at the switch as well in the command line show -arp. My arp tables are showing the router MAC address rather than the MAc Address of the server I am pinging . I would be interested to know if you get the same result.
P.S. Are you using VLAN's at all in this environment ?

Jon
Matthew Ballou

Hi Jon,
Yes very similar issue. Only difference is that we have a proxy arp running on a Extreme switch (which proxies for our remote wireless network). When I remove the 4108gl and 2824 switch, all is well. Oddly the 4108gl replaced a 4000M which was working perfectly. Not much of an upgrade. Thinking of buying some support packs or something to resolve.
Matt
Matthew Ballou

Also on the testing. We are only using the Default Vlan, nothing fancy. I ran the ARP-A on my winxp box and it showed the remote servers as Dymnamic arp. Wish I knew how to enter Static ARP's in the new HP Switches.