1752661 Members
5554 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Average CPU Utilisation on a 5300 that is routing

Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Average CPU Utilisation on a 5300 that is routing

We have a 5308 and we've turned routing on in the past few days. It only has approx 15 static routes. Our 5300s that do not have routing on average 3% CPU utilisation. This latest box is averaging 36% since routing was switch on.

Is this normal please?
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Average CPU Utilisation on a 5300 that is routing

Jason,

Generally it's the first packet in a new conversation that is routed in software, the others should be performed by hardware. Depending on the amount of traffic 36% may be considered normal.

Make sure you're running the latest firmware.

If you're still concerned, if you could put a copy of your running-config on the forum it may help. Remove any sensitive information.

Matt
Piet Heijn

We to have a 5308xl and sinds the last firmware update 11.10 we have some trouble with our terminals, sometimes the get awfully slow and it seems like there is some packet loss fore a brief time. Then after 20 sec everything is normal again. When i look at the cpu utilisation of the 5308 when te problem is occuring is see it is using about 40% cpu and when everyting is normal again it is going back to about 7%.
I have included the config of our switch. Could someone help? The other switches in the network are all HP.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

How stable is your spanning-tree? 'show spanning-tree' and check the latest topology change. Do these occur at the time you notice the issue?
Piet Heijn

I have no idea how stable it is, i'll keep an eye on it. ik have included the show spanning-tree command in the text file.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

14 mins from your last topology change isn't the best and definitely could be causing you these brief outages. You might be having some stability issues there. Are the rest of your switches firmware up to date? Are the links between switches stable and not flapping?
Piet Heijn

All the switches are up-to-date with the last firmware. How can we check if an interface is "flapping" how should we configure spanning-tree on the core switch and the other switches in the network.

thanks again
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi jason
please send me sh run print your 5308 switch
cenk