7463 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Procurve-Config via SNMP?

Peter Escher
Occasional Advisor

Backup Procurve-Config via SNMP?

Hi,

is it possible to get the complete configuration of a procurve-switch via SNMP? or is there a better way to backup the config via script/automatic?

Regards,
Oliver
21 REPLIES 21
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

PCM will do it for you. If you wanted to use a scripted telnet, you could go that route as well.
Peter Escher
Occasional Advisor

PCM? sorry, I dont know what you mean :)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

PCM = ProCurve Manager, a free poor cousin to PCM+. I think it ships on CD with every switch you buy.
http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/network_management.htm
Peter Escher
Occasional Advisor

Hm, this is a Windows-Application - we dont use Windows in our production environment. Is there another way to get the switch-config?

But one question: is it possible to get the configs automatic via PCM?

Regards,
Peter
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

hi Peter,

If i remember correctly it is not possible to pull the config file via SNMP. The MIBs are designed to do this, but i think this feature has been disabled.

Unless this has been changed in the latest firmware builds, your option is to create a script to telnet and send the config to your tftp server.
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

On the PCM question, yes PCM can be scheduled to download the config files.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Peter,
I run PCM+ on an XP box so for me, I have the configs automatically collected from all the switches. I can copy/paste the config to another switch using either PCM or TelNet/XMODEM/TFTP.

I played around with a scriptable telnet program but it lacked some features that I require to auto-genterate filenames that incude the IP and date, so I ended up using AutoIT and HyperTerm but those too are WIntel based.

You did not mention what platform you are using, only that it is not WIntel. I know there is the Perl::TelNet module so if you are proficient in Perl and it runs on your platform, you should be able to cobble together a script.

I am sure there are other NMS apps as well that run on non-WIntel to do the job that are either free or worth the money.
Peter Escher
Occasional Advisor

We use Gentoo Linux - thx for your help!

Best regards,
Peter
Regnar Bang Lyngs├╕_2
Frequent Advisor

We use Rancid.

<>

Regnar