108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Blade/GBE2 vlan config

SOLVED
Go to solution
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Blade/GBE2 vlan config

If I need to use tagged vlan's (multiple vlan/per port). Do I need to tag all vlan's with tag command, or can I still have the default vlan as untagged? And if I create vlan's on switch a and b, and I want traffic to be passed between the switched, do I need to add the vlan to the interconnect trunk (port 17 and 18)?

-Miika
5 REPLIES 5
Connery
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Blade/GBE2 vlan config

Hi Miika,
On the GbE2, the entire port is tagged rather than the individual VLAN. As a result, when you tag the port, all VLANs will be tagged.

We will be releasing a version of the firmware in the next couple of months that will allow untagging the default/native/PVID VLAN only if needed.

Yes, the crossconnect ports (17/18) should have all the appropriate VLANs added to them. A general guideline is to configure the crossconnect ports (17/18) the same as the uplink ports (19-22).

Best regards,
-sean
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Any idea, if the new firmware release fill be supporting other trunking features besides FEC? I seem to have read from some procurve release note that FEC is going to be dumped in future procurve release (have I been daydreaming, or is this a fact)? If would still be nice to trunk gbe2 with procurves.

-Miika
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Actually, all vendor's trunking (channeling) technology is interoperable as long as the trunk is manually configured (not using proprietary protocols such as PAgP) and the trunk ports are connected point-to-point between only two switches.

For instance, you can use port trunking on the GbE2 to a Cisco or a Nortel or an Intel or a ProCurve, etc. as long as you manually configure the port trunk on both ends.

I have not heard that FEC will be dumped on ProCurves. Even if the term "FEC" is dumped, port trunking between a ProCurve and a Cisco will still work. Whether or not the ProCurve and the Cisco can use PAgP to automatically establish the trunk is a different issue. I have no idea what ProCurve's plans are concerning support of PAgP.

Hope this helps,
-sean
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

Hi Miika,

Regarding your question of supporting FEC.
Yes, FEC will be discontinued with new firmware releases. Read the statement here:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/LLDP-and-LACP-statement.pdf

Sean is correct that, if statically configured, trunks (HP naming) will still work.
Kamen Nestorov

Hi Sean,
I want to interconnect a GbE2 switch with a Procurve 5308xl switch via trunk link. FEC wont be supported on the ProCurve switch any more. I dont have any testing possibilities, could you tell me if following configuration will work?
Procurve 5308xl:
Static trunking, Trunk type to Trunk on the ProCurve

===========================- TELNET - MANAGER MODE -============================
Switch Configuration - Port/Trunk Settings

Port Type Enabled Mode Flow Ctrl Group Type
---- --------- + ------- ------------ --------- ----- -----
A23 1000T | Yes Auto Disable Trk1 Trunk
A24 1000T | Yes Auto Disable Trk1 Trunk
==================================
==================================

GbE2 Switch:

/c/port 21/gig
fctl both
speed any
mode full