1752805 Members
5378 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Bridge VLANs on a ProCurve 2626?

DataSquid

Bridge VLANs on a ProCurve 2626?

Hi,

I have two VLANs serving the same subnet that I would like to bridge together (one is for 802.1Q tagging devices, the other is for untagged devices). Is this possible? I'm attempting to bridge them together using my router but am having difficulty. Using a jumper cable (between untagged ports of each VLAN) works, but wastes ports on the switch.

Thanks.

--
Dan
3 REPLIES 3
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Re: Bridge VLANs on a ProCurve 2626?

Why not use the same VLAN ID for all ports that you need to have on the same VLAN? Bridging two VLANs together is exactly the same as having a single VLAN.

You can have a combination of tagged and untagged ports in the same VLAN.
DataSquid

All ports will be tagged members of VLAN 1 and VLAN 2. The desired configuration is that for half of the ports, untagged traffic will belong to VLAN 1, and the other half untagged traffic will belong to VLAN 2.

I'm trying to accommodate the situation where we will have both tagged and untagged devices connecting to the switch.

Yes, these is somewhat of a stretch goal, but this configuration would ensure seamless interoperability with new hardware that is to be deployed to existing systems, as well as a single situation for all deployment scenarios we are faced with.

I've been able to get this to work using IRB on a Cisco router; unfortunately it's not Cisco in the field. And the field routers don't have integrated routing and bridging support...
DataSquid

OK, another way of stating the problem:

I can have both untagged and tagged ports as members of the same VLAN, and I can have both tagged and untagged VLANs on the same port...

Why can't I have a port be both an untagged and tagged member of the same VLAN?