108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CDP / LLDP

SOLVED
Go to solution
KevinW_1
Occasional Advisor

CDP / LLDP

I'm new to the board and as I was cruising other subjects I noticed LLDP/CDP mentioned.

I depend on CDP a lot to map networks and check for additions we weren't told about. (I know get better policies in place).

I have stopped upgrades to code where CDP is no longer being transmitted until I figure out have to use LLDP.

Is there a comand line or gui that gives me the same info CDP did?

KevinW
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CDP / LLDP

LLDP will read and populate it's neighbor database with any CDP information it receives.

'show lldp info remote-device'

Since you mentioned 2500's before, there is one other thing you should know about them -they do not receive LLDP packets. All other current ProCurve products both send and receive LLDP.
KevinW_1
Occasional Advisor

can I guess that there is a command:

'show lldp info'

which will show the port, address of connected switches?

I use "sh cdp info" to see what switches/routers are connected and the I use:

"sh cdp info detail" to get all the connection info for all sw/rtr devices that speak CDP.

KevinW
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Here's the equivalent lldp show commands.

To see a summary of all devices:

# show lldp info remote-device

To see details for a port:

# show lldp info remote-device
KevinW_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, but I got that far already.......
Ethan sommer

I've converted all my scripts to try LLDP and then CDP to discover neighbor devices, but even though we're a completely HP shop, we have several buildings which aren't "traceable" because of the order of the switches.

For example, we have two dorms which are identical except that one is slightly farther from the central switches and therefore can't do gigabit over the multimode fiber we have running to it.

Both dorms have a stack of 2650s and a single 2524. In the dorm with gigabit the 2524 is at the end of the chain and everything works fine. In the other dorm, in order to do 100FX the 2524 is first in the chain and can't see the 2650s.

Between this and the fact that some of my switches have started not accepting gbics they accepted before a firmware upgrade I'm hesitant to recommend HP switches now.

Out of curiosity why can't the 2624 switches do LLDP? Do they not have enough memory? Is it some sort of hardware limitation?