Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752717 Members
5703 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CLI changed for RSTP in 2824 firmware I.10.43?

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

CLI changed for RSTP in 2824 firmware I.10.43?

Hi all.

A while ago I configured my network for RSTP and it's been humming along nicely since then.
Now I am about to expand the network, and for those switches that should be part of the RSTP ring, I want to disable the "edge-port" property of the relevant ports.
According to the Advanced Traffic Management Guide of oct05, the CLI command is "no span edge-port".
This worked nicely on a 2626 running fw H.08.98m, and I believe that's what I wrote back when I configured my 2824s using an earlier firmware.
Now with firmware version I.10.43 in a 2824, this does not work. The help "?" gives me the option of using admin-edge-port, but what is that, and why can't I use the old command?

I'm OK, because the settings are available in the menu, but does anyone know what's changed and if so, why it's not documented?
There is always one more bug ...
4 REPLIES 4
Holger Hasenaug
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: CLI changed for RSTP in 2824 firmware I.10.43?

The change was done to be consistent to most other ProCurve series and to be consitent to the latest STP standard:

old command:

ProCurve5406zl(config)# spanning-tree a1 edge-port (no longer available but automatically converted to new command after upgrade)

new command:

ProCurve5406zl(config)# spanning-tree a1 admin-edge-port

new commands not yet available before:

ProCurve5406zl(config)# spanning-tree a1 ?
admin-edge-port Set the administrative edge port status.
auto-edge-port Set the automatic edge port detection.

For further description refer to another series (5400zl) Advanced Traffic
Management Guide, page 4-27.

J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Yikes ... lots of new stuff!

It looks like my network doesn't mind MSTP, because the spanning-tree operation works like it always has.
I'll have to dig into the new parameters when I get back from vacation, though. It looks like the default auto-edge detection could reduce the initial configuration when adding new switches to the network, and there may be a handy tweak or two in there as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

auto-edge is the best thing since sliced bread, love it.
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Sure looks like it :-)

Oh, the ATM Guide for 2824 switches is due for an update, in anyone from HP is listening.
The 5400zl Guide was not my first choice when I tried to find info about the changed CLI in the 2824.